Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heat treat car drive system

1. Jul 29, 2014 #1
    Hello all I am very new to this sight and am not an engineer. I am a mechanic tasked with building a powered drive system for our heat treat car. We currently use a continuous cable loop drive but we would like to change it to air powered gear motors. My question is this, how to size it correctly.

I would like to use a foot mounted air powered gear motor with v type roller. At this point I can use any diameter roller under 8". These will run on inverted angle iron mounted to the floor. The load is variable between 5000# and 12000#. I am assuming due to the size and structure of the car that we would use 2 motors to avoid racking and possibly forcing the car off the track. I would like the car to traverse 15ft in less than 30 seconds.

Any guidance would be appreciated and if I am missing any needed information please let me know, thank you.

Jim

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 4, 2014 #2
    I'm sorry you are not generating any responses at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us? Any new findings?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook