Heat Treating ASTM A709 Grade A Steel

In summary: What is the temperature range you will be working within ? There are many factors to take into account when heat treating steel, and I'm not sure if you have the necessary information to heat treat it. I suggest doing more research to find out what you need to know.
Mm22
If I know the standard of the steal I have let's say ASTM A709 grade A how do I determine the temperature and time necessary for any heat treatment to be done on it?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF. :smile:

Mm22 said:
If I know the standard of the steal I have let's say ASTM A709 grade A how do I determine the temperature and time necessary for any heat treatment to be done on it?
I did a quick Google search on heat treating ASTM grade steel and got good hits. Here is one of the first ones:

https://www.asminternational.org/documents/10192/1849770/ACF180B.pdf

1668014441537.png

Mm22 said:
"Heat treating" it is too general a term. What do you wish to accomplish with the treatment is the question you need answer. You need to determine what the alloying elements are in the steel, and there will be an associated Isothermal Transformation Diagram for the alloy. It will tell you which phase (phases) you will land in for a certain temperature/time combination. Different phases have different mechanical properties.

Thats about all I remember, but maybe it can be of some use.

When I search A709 steel, I get the following hit (among others):

ASTM A709/A709M-21
An ASTM designation number identifies a unique version of an ASTM standard.
A0709_A0709M-21
A = Ferrous Metals
0709 = assigned sequential number
M = SI units
21 = year of original adoption (or, In the case of revision, the last year of last revision)

Standard Specification for Structural Steel for Bridges

Abstract
This specification covers carbon and high-strength low alloy steel structural shapes, plates and bars, and quenched and tempered alloy steel for structural plates intended for use in bridges.

The ASTM Specification A709 covers several grades of steel, some of which might not be heat treatable. In order to heat treat steel, you need to know the exact grade, what heat treatments are possible for that grade, the mechanical properties resulting from those heat treatments, and what mechanical properties are needed for your application.

What is your application?

• Informative
Likes berkeman
Mm22 said:
... how do I determine the temperature and time necessary for any heat treatment ...
Are you annealing, bending or hardening ?
Is the structure an elastic or plastic design ?
Will you bolt the joints, or pre-heat or post-heat the welds ?

1. What is the purpose of heat treating ASTM A709 Grade A steel?

Heat treating ASTM A709 Grade A steel is a process used to improve the mechanical properties of the steel, such as its strength, hardness, and toughness. It involves heating the steel to a specific temperature, holding it at that temperature for a certain amount of time, and then cooling it down in a controlled manner.

2. What are the benefits of heat treating ASTM A709 Grade A steel?

The benefits of heat treating ASTM A709 Grade A steel include improved strength, hardness, and toughness, as well as increased resistance to wear and corrosion. This results in a stronger and more durable steel that is suitable for a variety of applications, such as construction and manufacturing.

3. What is the recommended temperature for heat treating ASTM A709 Grade A steel?

The recommended temperature for heat treating ASTM A709 Grade A steel is between 1500-1650°F (815-900°C). This temperature range allows for the formation of a fine-grained microstructure, which improves the mechanical properties of the steel.

4. How long does it take to heat treat ASTM A709 Grade A steel?

The length of time required to heat treat ASTM A709 Grade A steel depends on the thickness and size of the steel, as well as the specific heat treatment process being used. Generally, it can take anywhere from a few hours to several days to complete the heat treatment process.

5. What are the different heat treatment processes for ASTM A709 Grade A steel?

The most common heat treatment processes for ASTM A709 Grade A steel are annealing, normalizing, quenching and tempering, and stress relieving. Each process involves heating the steel to a specific temperature and then cooling it down in a controlled manner to achieve the desired mechanical properties.