Will the Gap Between (B) and (C) Change When Heated?

In summary, the question is whether the gap between sides (B) and (C) of a metal object will become narrower, wider, or remain unchanged when heated. The class is divided on this topic, but the correct answer is that the gap will get wider due to the total expansion of sides (B+C) being greater than side (A) due to its longer length. This can be seen in practical applications, such as opening a jar lid, and is confirmed by mathematical calculations. Both the original answer and confirmation from Doc Al validate this conclusion.
barcat
The question is- In the metal object below, will the gap between the
ends of (B) and (C) become narrower, wider, or remain unchanged if heated?
Code:
                    |
                 (A)|
                    |
                    |          |
                    |          | (C)
                    |          |
                    ------------
This question has been on our class discussion board for
two weeks. The class is split 50/50.

My answer was-

"My thinking is this. Being that the total continuous
length of the metal of side (A) is longer than the sum
of sides (B+C), and we know that longer objects of the
same material (with the same expansion coefficient)expand
more, this would mean that the gap between (B) and (C)
would get wider because the total expansion of (B + C)
would never be equal to or longer than (A)."

Am I off base here?

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
You are exactly right. The expansion affects every linear dimension--including the gap--in the same way.

Practical application: When you try to get a metal lid off a jar (that has not been opened), it can be extremely tight. Put it under hot water and it will be easier to get off, since the size of the interior gap of the lid has expanded.

mathman;
I never thought to apply that example to this situation. It was even shown in the book as an example for something else. I had to prove it mathematically by applying what ever type metal I chose, then doing the calculations. I guess the gap in the ring was throwing me off.

THANKS-barry.

Originally posted by Doc Al
You are exactly right. The expansion affects every linear dimension--including the gap--in the same way.

Thanks also to Doc Al. Confermation goes a long way here!

1. What is the relationship between heat and expansion?

The relationship between heat and expansion is that when an object or substance is heated, its particles gain energy and move faster, causing them to spread out and take up more space, which results in expansion.

2. How does the expansion of materials due to heat impact everyday objects?

The expansion of materials due to heat can impact everyday objects in various ways. For example, it can cause metal objects, such as train tracks, to expand and contract, which can lead to warping and damage. It can also cause buildings and bridges to expand and contract, which can affect their structural integrity and lead to cracks or other issues.

3. Can all materials expand and contract with heat?

No, not all materials expand and contract with heat. Some materials, like rubber, have a high coefficient of thermal expansion, meaning they will expand significantly with heat, while other materials, like glass, have a low coefficient of thermal expansion and will expand minimally with heat.

4. How does the coefficient of thermal expansion affect the behavior of different materials?

The coefficient of thermal expansion is a measure of how much a material will expand or contract with a change in temperature. Materials with a high coefficient of thermal expansion, like rubber, will expand and contract significantly with even small changes in temperature. On the other hand, materials with a low coefficient of thermal expansion, like glass, will only expand and contract slightly with temperature changes.

5. Can heat expansion be reversed?

Yes, heat expansion can be reversed. When the heat source is removed, the particles in the material will lose energy and slow down, causing the material to contract and return to its original size. However, some materials, especially those with a high coefficient of thermal expansion, may not return to their exact original size due to changes in their molecular structure.