Creating a Nichrome Heating Coil for 12V, 36W @373K

In summary, the question asks for the length of nichrome wire needed to create a heating coil that operates on a 12V supply and produces 36W of power when immersed in water at 373K. The wire available has a cross-sectional area of 0.10 mm² and a resistivity of 1.08 x 10-6 Ωm at 273K. Using the equation ρ=ρ0 [1+α(T-T0 ) ], the resistivity at 373K is found to be 1.089 x 10-6 Ωm. Using the formula V^2/P=p(L/A), the required length
pat666

Homework Statement

A heating coil is to be made, from nichrome wire, which will operate on a 12 V supply and will have a power of 36 W when immersed in water at 373 K. The wire available has a cross-sectional area of 0.10 mm². What length of wire will be required?
(Resistivity of nichrome at 273 K = 1.08 x 10-6 Ωm.
Temperature co-efficient of resistivity of nichrome = 8.0 x 10-5 K-1.)
I think that "Resistivity of nichrome at 273 K = 1.08 x 10-6 Ωm." is meant to say 373K, I will ask tomorrow.

Homework Equations

ρ=ρ0 [1+α(T-T0 ) ]

The Attempt at a Solution

Im thinking that ρ(resistivity) can be changed with P/I^2 then I^2 with V^2/R^2 so i would end up with P*R^2/v^2=ρ0 [1+α(T-T0 ) ] or something like that, I really need some pointers on where to go.

Physics news on Phys.org
pat666 said:
I think that "Resistivity of nichrome at 273 K = 1.08 x 10-6 Ωm." is meant to say 373K

Are you sure the question is not asking you for the length of wire needed in a heating coil, if it is to heat water from 273K (just freezing) to 373K (boiling)? You need a start and an end temp. If you just want to heat water with nichrome then any amount will do...

Think of some more relevant equations. You need a length in there somewhere to solve for it.

Yeah it could be that - the question is not written well at all I will ask tomorrow and find out.

turns out the question is right.

pat666 said:

Homework Equations

ρ=ρ0 [1+α(T-T0 ) ].

This equation will give you the resistivity at a temperature T. So using the information given and the terms in the equation, what is the resistivity at T=373 K ?

p=1.08 x 10-6[1+8.0 x 10-5(373-273)]
will that work??

pat666 said:
p=1.08 x 10-6[1+8.0 x 10-5(373-273)]
will that work??

Yes that will give you ρ. Now how does ρ relate to the length of wire, resistance and cross-sectional area?

hey rock.freak667, sorry for the late reply I was at uni for 10hrs today. I've found resistivity at 373K to be 1.089*10^-6.
then R=p(L/A)
V=IR P=IV so P=V/R*V P=V^2/R R=v^2/P I am not sure if this is right I am just subbing formulas to try and find something useful
I get
V^2/P=p(L/A)
144/36=1.089*10^-6.(L/1.1*10^-7)
L=0.404m

Please reply, I have no idea if this is even close to right
ps-thanks for your help thus far.

pat666 said:
Ive found resistivity at 373K to be 1.089*10^-6.
then R=p(L/A)
Should be correct assuming you calculated correctly (I didn't check the number)

pat666 said:
V=IR P=IV so P=V/R*V P=V^2/R R=v^2/P I am not sure if this is right I am just subbing formulas to try and find something useful
I get
V^2/P=p(L/A)
144/36=1.089*10^-6.(L/1.1*10^-7)
L=0.404m

This should be correct.

ok thankyou, as long as the procedure is right.

hey man the resistivity of nichrome at 273K is given in the question to be 1.08*10^-6ohmm, using the value 1.089*10^-6ohmm gives you a length required that is 4cm greater. don't know if i would trust the lecturer to mark it correctly, even though its correct with your value.

what do you mean? it all checks out - are you talking sig figures or something?>

whoops i read it wrong! I'm still getting 0.36m so i'll update this post when i find the difference

edit: okay silly error my bad.

Last edited:

1. How do I determine the appropriate gauge for my Nichrome heating coil?

The gauge of a Nichrome wire refers to its thickness, which affects its resistance and therefore its heating capabilities. To determine the appropriate gauge for your heating coil, you will need to know the desired wattage, voltage, and temperature of your coil. There are online calculators and formulas available to help you determine the appropriate gauge for your specific needs.

2. What is the best material to use for the base of my Nichrome heating coil?

The base material for a Nichrome heating coil should be heat-resistant and electrically insulating. Ceramic, quartz, or mica are commonly used materials for this purpose. They can withstand high temperatures and provide proper insulation for the Nichrome wire.

3. How do I calculate the number of turns needed for my Nichrome heating coil?

The number of turns in a Nichrome heating coil can be calculated using the formula: N = (V * I) / (W * K), where N is the number of turns, V is the voltage, I is the current, W is the wattage, and K is the resistivity of Nichrome. You can also use online calculators to determine the appropriate number of turns for your specific requirements.

4. Can I use a Nichrome heating coil for other purposes besides heating?

Yes, Nichrome heating coils can also be used for cutting, welding, and soldering metals. They can also be used in some heating elements for appliances such as toasters and hair dryers.

5. How do I ensure the longevity of my Nichrome heating coil?

To ensure the longevity of your Nichrome heating coil, it is important to keep it clean and free of any debris or contaminants. It is also important to use the appropriate gauge and number of turns for your specific needs to prevent overheating and premature burnout. Regular maintenance and replacement of worn out coils can also help prolong the life of your Nichrome heating coil.