Heat Inconel 718 Alloy With Bunsen Burner

In summary: I don't think it would be worth it to try and heat it to 1000 degrees Celsius with a bunsen burner. The blacksmith's forge would be a better option.
aali94
This may be a ridiculous question but I wanted to find out whether it would be possible to heat a 10x10x5 mm sheet of inconel 718 alloy (weighs around 500 g) to 1000 degrees C using a bunsen burner. The burner I have in mind is the Integra Fireboy safety bunsen burner (link below). It has a max flame temperature of 1200 degrees C, and a nominal heat rate of 1.6 kW.

At 1000 degrees C, I have calculated the overall heat loss due to radiation to be around 3 kW. Can this be reduced with ceramic fibre insulation (k = 0.48 W/m/K), and using radiant barriers? I would really appreciate your views and any suggestions on methods of getting to a 1000 degrees C.

https://www.integra-biosciences.com/united-kingdom/en/flame-sterilization/fireboy

Science news on Phys.org
Hi and welcome to PF.
It strikes me that you need a Muffle Furnace design (do a Google Images search for an idea of whet they look like). They usually (these days) use electrical heating but the secret is to use lots of refractory insulation. It's quite possible but not a quick fix. Unless you are set on using the bunsen, you may find it better to use a blown charcoal heater (like a blacksmith's forge). 1200C from the flame may not be high enough. I have heated a steel bar to cherry red (750C) after extended heating in a barbecue with a blower but 1000C is more like light orange.
Basically, I think the "safety" bunsen name says it all - it's hard to use something like that for extreme heating. I am sure you will need a better solution. Just try to heat up the end of a piece of steel rod ( say 10mmX 5mm) and see how red you can get it. You will need a long rod or some fibre insulation or you will burn your hand before the rod glows much.
Btw, I think you must mean 100mm square, not 10mm. How important is an even temperature over the plate?
When I need something like this, I tend to look at eBay but that can involve a long wait or a long drive.

sophiecentaur said:
Hi and welcome to PF.
It strikes me that you need a Muffle Furnace design (do a Google Images search for an idea of whet they look like). They usually (these days) use electrical heating but the secret is to use lots of refractory insulation. It's quite possible but not a quick fix. Unless you are set on using the bunsen, you may find it better to use a blown charcoal heater (like a blacksmith's forge). 1200C from the flame may not be high enough. I have heated a steel bar to cherry red (750C) after extended heating in a barbecue with a blower but 1000C is more like light orange.
Basically, I think the "safety" bunsen name says it all - it's hard to use something like that for extreme heating. I am sure you will need a better solution. Just try to heat up the end of a piece of steel rod ( say 10mmX 5mm) and see how red you can get it. You will need a long rod or some fibre insulation or you will burn your hand before the rod glows much.
Btw, I think you must mean 100mm square, not 10mm. How important is an even temperature over the plate?
When I need something like this, I tend to look at eBay but that can involve a long wait or a long drive.
I've not done it but I think most pottery kilns will get you above 2000F...

Likes sophiecentaur
hutchphd said:
I've not done it but I think most pottery kilns will get you above 2000F...
Pretty expensive for a one off experiment though. A couple of big propane torches would be better sources of heat than the safe bunsen.
It would be nice to know the budget that the OP has for the heating operation.

Likes davenn
sophiecentaur said:
Pretty expensive for a one off experiment though. A couple of big propane torches would be better sources of heat than the safe bunsen.
It would be nice to know the budget that the OP has for the heating operation.
I guess I know too many old hippies...probably could borrow one! Would be nice and uniform.

Likes sophiecentaur
The OP hasn't given us the context of the heating operation. The metal won't melt but it will cool down as soon as it's removed from the furnace.

1. How do you heat Inconel 718 alloy with a Bunsen burner?

To heat Inconel 718 alloy with a Bunsen burner, first ensure that the alloy is clean and free of any contaminants. Then, adjust the Bunsen burner to produce a blue, non-luminous flame. Hold the alloy with tongs and place it in the hottest part of the flame. Move the alloy back and forth to evenly distribute the heat. Be careful not to overheat the alloy, as it can cause it to become brittle.

2. What temperature should the Bunsen burner be set to when heating Inconel 718 alloy?

The Bunsen burner should be set to produce a blue, non-luminous flame when heating Inconel 718 alloy. The exact temperature may vary depending on the type of Bunsen burner and the specific alloy, but a general guideline is to keep the flame at around 1700-1800 degrees Fahrenheit.

3. Can Inconel 718 alloy be heated with other heat sources besides a Bunsen burner?

Yes, Inconel 718 alloy can be heated with other heat sources such as a furnace, induction heater, or oxyacetylene torch. However, the heating process and temperature control may vary depending on the heat source used.

4. How long does it take to heat Inconel 718 alloy with a Bunsen burner?

The time it takes to heat Inconel 718 alloy with a Bunsen burner will depend on the size and thickness of the alloy. Generally, it may take a few minutes to reach the desired temperature, but it is important to monitor the alloy closely to avoid overheating.

5. What are the precautions to take when heating Inconel 718 alloy with a Bunsen burner?

When heating Inconel 718 alloy with a Bunsen burner, it is important to wear appropriate personal protective equipment, such as gloves and safety glasses. The area should be well-ventilated, and the alloy should be handled with tongs to avoid direct contact with the flame. It is also important to monitor the temperature closely and avoid overheating, as this can affect the properties of the alloy.