Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heating Saline

Tags:
  1. Oct 20, 2014 #1
    Hi there. Is there any element, when exposed to saline, will cause the saline to heat up? More to the point, I would like to add something to a jar of saline and heat it up. Is that possible?

Thanks, ~J

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2014 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Add hot water?

4. Oct 21, 2014 #3
    Hi Borek. Yea, besides that. Thanks though.
    ~ J

5. Oct 22, 2014 #4

Borek

Hot ethanol? Concentrated sulfuric acid? Piece of sodium?

In case you are missing the point - you have not explained what are the constraints and what you are really trying to do, so you can't expect much better answers.

6. Oct 22, 2014 #5
    For sure. Let me explain.

With an exterior heating source like flame or warmer solution, I'm looking to start with cold saline solution (50º as an example) and add element X in order to heat the solution (say 60º).

All I really need to know is whether or not there is any element that is capable of a reaction like this? Is it possible? That's the jist of it.
    Thanks, ~ Joe D

7. Oct 22, 2014 #6

Borek

If you have an external source of heat doesn't matter what element you add, you will end with a heated saline.

8. Oct 22, 2014 #7
    Sorry man. I'm new to this. It should read "Without an external heating source..."

9. Oct 22, 2014 #8

Borek

That changes things a bit.

So basically you are looking for an element that will react exothermically with a diluted water solution, containing some salt and small amounts of organic compounds?

10. Oct 22, 2014 #9
    Exactly.

11. Oct 22, 2014 #10

Borek

And you are aware of the fact after the reaction the original solution will be highly contaminated with the reaction products?

12. Oct 22, 2014 #11
    I didn't think about that and it's ok if it is.

13. Oct 22, 2014 #12

Borek

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook