Heating time near a conductor

In summary, the conversation discusses the time it would take for a small piece of "something" to heat up to 200°C if there is a constant Joule loss of 0.25W around a small piece of copper electric conductor. The necessary heat is calculated using the specific heat of the "something", its mass, and the difference between the target temperature and the ambient temperature. The amount of time to heat up is determined to be Q/0.25W, but it is noted that in a real setup, the environment will also be heated and therefore the process may take longer. The heat capacity of the conductor is mentioned and is advised to be added to the calculation to account for any discrepancies.
elcraft
Hi.

Practical situation.

If I have 0.25W of constant Joule loss around a small piece of copper electric conductor, then I would like to find out how much time until a small piece of "Something" (let's say 100mg at 1 kJ/kg*K) around the conductor heats up to 200°C.

From my calculations, the necessary heat will be Q = Specific heat of the Something (?) * mass of "Something" * (200°C - ambient temp).

So the amount of time to heat this up is supposed to be Q/0.25W. Am I right?

Or is there any other delay or heat loss that won't go into heating the "Something" to 200C? :shy:

Science news on Phys.org
If your system "conductor+something" is isolated from the environment and the heat capacity of the conductor is negligible, t=Q/0.25W. A real setup will heat the environment, too, and it will need longer to heat something.

Heat capacity for the conductor (copper) is 0.385. I would like to take it into account, but how?

Just add the heat capacity (specific heat capacity * mass) to the other one. If the heating process is very quick, your conductor will have a higher temperature than the "something", and your estimate will be a bit off - you would need more data to account for that.

I can confirm that your calculations are correct. The amount of time it takes for the "Something" to heat up to 200°C will be Q/0.25W, assuming there are no other factors affecting the heating process. However, it is important to note that in a practical situation, there may be other variables at play that could affect the heating time, such as heat loss to the surrounding environment or the specific heat capacity of the "Something" being different from what was assumed. It is always best to conduct experiments or simulations to confirm the accuracy of your calculations.

1. How does heating time near a conductor affect the surrounding environment?

Heating time near a conductor can have various effects on the surrounding environment depending on the type of conductor and the intensity of heat. In general, it can increase the temperature of the surrounding air and objects, potentially causing discomfort or damage. It can also lead to changes in the electrical properties of nearby materials, which can impact electronic devices and systems.

2. What factors influence the heating time near a conductor?

The heating time near a conductor is influenced by several factors, including the type and size of the conductor, the amount of current flowing through it, the material of the conductor, and the presence of any insulating materials. The surrounding temperature and humidity also play a role, as they can affect the heat dissipation from the conductor.

3. How can heating time near a conductor be calculated?

The heating time near a conductor can be calculated using the Joule's law, which states that the heat produced by an electrical current is directly proportional to the square of the current and the resistance of the conductor. By knowing the current and resistance values, the heating time can be estimated using the formula Q = I^2Rt, where Q is the amount of heat produced, I is the current, R is the resistance, and t is the time.

4. What safety precautions should be taken when working near a heated conductor?

When working near a heated conductor, it is essential to take proper safety precautions to avoid any accidents or injuries. These may include wearing appropriate protective gear, keeping a safe distance from the conductor, and ensuring proper ventilation in the area. It is also crucial to turn off the power supply before handling the conductor and to use insulated tools to prevent electric shocks.

5. Can the heating time near a conductor be reduced?

Yes, the heating time near a conductor can be reduced by using materials with lower resistance, increasing the surface area of the conductor, and improving the insulation around it. Proper cooling techniques, such as using fans or heat sinks, can also help dissipate the heat quickly. However, it is essential to ensure that these measures do not compromise the safety or functionality of the conductor.