1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heating time near a conductor

1. Sep 19, 2012 #1
    Hi.

Practical situation.

If I have 0.25W of constant Joule loss around a small piece of copper electric conductor, then I would like to find out how much time until a small piece of "Something" (let's say 100mg at 1 kJ/kg*K) around the conductor heats up to 200°C.

From my calculations, the necessary heat will be Q = Specific heat of the Something (?) * mass of "Something" * (200°C - ambient temp).

So the amount of time to heat this up is supposed to be Q/0.25W. Am I right?

Or is there any other delay or heat loss that won't go into heating the "Something" to 200C? :shy:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2012 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

If your system "conductor+something" is isolated from the environment and the heat capacity of the conductor is negligible, t=Q/0.25W. A real setup will heat the environment, too, and it will need longer to heat something.

4. Sep 19, 2012 #3
    Heat capacity for the conductor (copper) is 0.385. I would like to take it into account, but how?

5. Sep 19, 2012 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Just add the heat capacity (specific heat capacity * mass) to the other one. If the heating process is very quick, your conductor will have a higher temperature than the "something", and your estimate will be a bit off - you would need more data to account for that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook