Heating up 55gal of water

In summary, there are a few factors to consider when using a Wagner wallpaper steamer for pasteurization on a larger scale, such as wattage, insulation, and mixing of manure. It may still be worth trying, but be prepared to adjust your methods if necessary.
Erazman
I just bought a Wagner wallpaper steamer and I am using it to heat up water in a 55gal barrel for manure pasturization.

Testing it out on a small scale, i was able to heat up 15L of water to 150 degrees in 15 minutes (perfect temperature for pasturzation at 3 hours)..

The barrel will only be half full of water, at 125L. The remaining space will be displaced by horse manure.

Is it worth trying it out on such a large scale? Or was my heat gain (15L / 15 minutes to 150 degrees) too long?

Science news on Phys.org
Will the water temperature drop too fast in the larger tank?

The answer to this question will depend on a few factors. First, you need to consider how much wattage the steamer has. If it is a low-power model, then it may not be able to keep up with the heat loss from the larger container. You will also need to consider how well insulated the container is, as this can affect the rate of heat loss. Finally, you will need to consider how quickly the manure is stirred and mixed into the water, as this can help to keep the water temperature consistent.

Given the information provided, it may still be worth trying out your steamer on the larger scale. However, if the wattage of the steamer is too low, or the container is not well insulated, then the desired temperature may not be reached in a timely fashion. If this is the case, you may need to look into an alternative heating solution.

I would first commend you for taking the initiative to test out the Wagner wallpaper steamer for manure pasteurization. However, I would also advise caution when scaling up the process to such a large scale. It is important to consider the efficiency and effectiveness of the steamer on a larger volume of water and with the added displacement of horse manure.

I would recommend conducting further testing and experiments to determine the optimal heating time and temperature for pasteurization in a 55-gallon barrel. It is also important to consider the potential risks and safety measures when working with such large volumes of hot water and manure.

Additionally, I would suggest exploring other methods of pasteurization and seeking guidance from experts in the field to ensure the best results and safety precautions are taken. Overall, while it may be worth trying the steamer on a larger scale, it is important to proceed with caution and thorough testing to ensure optimal results.

What is the best method for heating up 55 gallons of water?

The best method for heating up 55 gallons of water is to use a water heater or boiler specifically designed for large volumes of water. This will ensure that the water is heated evenly and efficiently.

How long will it take to heat up 55 gallons of water?

The time it takes to heat up 55 gallons of water will vary depending on the type of heater and its power output. On average, it can take anywhere from 1-2 hours for a standard water heater to heat up 55 gallons of water.

Is it safe to heat up 55 gallons of water in a plastic container?

No, it is not safe to heat up 55 gallons of water in a plastic container. Plastic can melt or release harmful chemicals when exposed to high temperatures. It is best to use a metal container specifically designed for heating water.

What temperature should the water be heated to?

The recommended temperature for heating water is between 120-140 degrees Fahrenheit. This is hot enough for most household needs but not so hot that it can scald or cause burns.

Can I use an electric or gas stove to heat up 55 gallons of water?

No, it is not recommended to use an electric or gas stove to heat up 55 gallons of water. These stoves are not designed for such large volumes of water and can be a fire hazard. It is best to use a specialized water heating system for this purpose.