Calculating Water Needed to Heat 1000 MW/J from 18°C to 30°C

• Thread starter twiztdlogik
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Heat Water
In summary, the conversation is discussing how to calculate the amount of water needed to heat 1000 MW/J of heat from 18 degrees to 30 degrees using a specific heat of 4.184 J g-1 K-1. The person is unsure of the formula to use and is looking for help. They also clarify that MW/J was meant to represent either mega watts or joules, and they are confused about the difference between watts and joules.
twiztdlogik
how much water would 1000 MW/J heat from 18 degrees to 30 degrees?

i am unsure of what formula [is there is one] to use...

so any help would be GREAT!

TIA:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: What's the specific heat of water? (What kind of units are MW/J? Did you mean Joules?)

i have the specfic heat of water... and the MW/J was my way of saying mega watts or joules.

the specific heat i have is 4.184 J g–1 K–1

what i can't figure out is how to get the amount of water. and i am not sure of what sort of answer i am going to get, or if the answers i am getting from playing around are correct.

i think i am confusing myself...:uhh:

twiztdlogik said:
i have the specfic heat of water...
What's the definition of specific heat? Look it up!
and the MW/J was my way of saying mega watts or joules.
Those aren't the same thing, you know. :uhh: (Watts = power; Joules = energy.)

1. How do you calculate the amount of water needed to heat 1000 MW/J from 18°C to 30°C?

To calculate the amount of water needed, you can use the following formula:
Water Needed (m^3) = 1000 MW/J x 1 hour x 4.186 J/g°C x (30°C - 18°C) / 1000 g/m^3 x 60 minutes/hour
This formula takes into account the specific heat capacity of water and the time needed to heat the water.

2. What is the specific heat capacity of water?

The specific heat capacity of water is 4.186 J/g°C. This means that it takes 4.186 joules of energy to raise the temperature of 1 gram of water by 1 degree Celsius.

3. How much does the temperature increase for 1000 MW/J of energy used to heat water?

The temperature increase depends on the amount of water being heated. For 1000 MW/J of energy used to heat water from 18°C to 30°C, the temperature will increase by 12°C.

4. Is the amount of water needed to heat 1000 MW/J the same for all substances?

No, the amount of water needed to heat 1000 MW/J will vary for different substances. This is because each substance has a different specific heat capacity, which determines how much energy is needed to raise its temperature.

5. Can you use this formula to calculate the water needed for any amount of energy and temperature change?

Yes, this formula can be used to calculate the water needed for any amount of energy and temperature change. However, it is important to note that the specific heat capacity of water may vary slightly with temperature, so for more accurate calculations, this should be taken into account.