Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heatpipe Selection

1. Nov 10, 2015 #1
    I'm using heatpipes in a cooling application using the same aluminum fin heat sink used to cool CPUs. I'm not sure if the temperature range of the heatpipes are the best for this application. CPU may run 40-90c and I may be getting 25-30c on the hot side and 5c on the cold. Are the ranges close enough together that I don't need to worry about it?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2015 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

It would depend on the particulars of the heat pipe product you are using. Do you have a spec sheet? Performance curve?

4. Nov 16, 2015 #3
    No I don't have it for this particular product. I'm using this a different application and was hoping someone with experience with these might be able to say whether it should be ok or not.

5. Nov 16, 2015 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Well, there is a good chance it will be ok. The way you worded the OP implies you think a wide temperature difference is a bad thing, but usually it is a good thing for heat transfer. And heat pipes do tend to be very forgiving of different operating ranges. If they use water as the working fluid, the pressure will adjust to the temperature.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_pipe#Structure.2C_design_and_construction

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook