Heatsink Recommendations for xp-3000

• Thread starter dink
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Heatsink
In summary: The only thing you might want to look into is adding a second fan to the front of the case to help pull more hot air out.
dink
Having problems with stability on new xp-3000. I just realized my cpu is cruising at a 'cool' 75 C. Fan I'm using is a YSTech something or other 47 CFM. I figure the fan is fine thinking 47 CFM is quite high. Any ideas for heatsink? Right now I'm using a boxed aluminum heatsink from a 1.3 amd. Thanks.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Extreme CPU (air) cooling

Before you change it, have you tried http://www.thetechlounge.com/review.php?REVIEWDIR=heatsink_lapping_kit fan/heatsink combo gets a lot of rave customer reviews.

Last edited by a moderator:
Swiftech MCX462-V with a high cfm 92mm fan.

The whole volcano line isn't that good. Don't even consider it.

Do you have any case fans? If you are relying solely on your CPU and power supply fans, you may be recirculating hot air. Try adding a case fan. Make sure the computer has room in the front and back to allow for air movement (don't hide it in an unventilated cabinet).

Did you use a tape on the CPU to heatsink connection? Arctic Silver is good, but any thermal paste will work better than a tape.

Thanks for the replies, ended up going with swiftech and artic silver. Averaging 60C. As to case fans, I have so many I had to get a 450W Enermax. I have an 80mm in back just under PSU pulling hot air out, two side mounted 80mm's blowing over graphics card and motherboard, and a 120 mm blower upfront at the base. The PSU also contributes to pulling out hot air. I may need another fan perhaps cut into the top of case to pull more hot air out. But it would seem adequate as it is. Once again, thanks for your replies.

dink said:
Thanks for the replies, ended up going with swiftech and artic silver. Averaging 60C. As to case fans, I have so many I had to get a 450W Enermax. I have an 80mm in back just under PSU pulling hot air out, two side mounted 80mm's blowing over graphics card and motherboard, and a 120 mm blower upfront at the base. The PSU also contributes to pulling out hot air. I may need another fan perhaps cut into the top of case to pull more hot air out. But it would seem adequate as it is. Once again, thanks for your replies.

As long as the space around the case is pretty well ventilated or open, I think you should be moving enough air in and out of the case.

1. What is a heatsink and why is it important for my XP-3000?

A heatsink is a device that helps dissipate heat from your CPU. It is important for your XP-3000 because high temperatures can damage or shorten the lifespan of your processor.

2. How do I know which heatsink is compatible with my XP-3000?

You can check the specifications of your processor to determine the correct socket type and then look for heatsinks that are compatible with that socket type.

3. What materials should I look for in a heatsink for my XP-3000?

Aluminum and copper are commonly used materials for heatsinks. Aluminum is lightweight and cost-effective, while copper has better thermal conductivity. A combination of both materials is also a good option.

4. Is it necessary to have a fan with my heatsink for my XP-3000?

It is highly recommended to have a fan with your heatsink for better heat dissipation. However, if you prefer a quieter setup, you can opt for a larger heatsink without a fan but it may not be as effective in cooling your processor.

5. Can I overclock my XP-3000 with a heatsink?

Yes, a good heatsink can help keep your processor at lower temperatures, allowing for better overclocking performance. However, make sure to choose a heatsink that is designed for overclocking and can handle the increased heat from your processor.