Navigating the Path of Life: One Question to Find the Way

• Thread starter Remnant
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Life Path
In summary, when faced with two gnomes, one guarding the path to heaven and the other the path to hell, who may both be liars or truth-tellers, the best question to ask in order to determine which path is which is: "If I asked you if this is the road to hell, would you say yes?" This question takes advantage of the nature of liars and truth-tellers, making it possible to determine the correct path with only one question.
lahmannrobert said:
You ask either gnome one question. If I were to ask the other gnome which way is the path to hell, what would he say? and then take that path. The liar would point to the path to heaven because he lies, and the truthful one would point to the one to heaven because he knows the other would lie.

Wrong! Nobody has told you the gnomes know each other.
So, each one doesn't know whether the other is a liar or a truth teller.

phlegmy said:
i would ask
"if i asked the other gnome which was the road to hell, which way would he point me?"

Wrong! Read above.

mjolnir80 said:
the actual answer is: ask one of the gnomes: " if i ask your friend which if his way goes to hell what would he say"

Wrong! Read above.

neu said:
1: Drop your trousers and ask them what gender you are.
1: "What is 2 + 2?"
infinite number of questions that would solve this surely?

None of your questions, surely.
Nobody has told you which path each gnome is guarding.

Physics news on Phys.org
Kittel Knight said:
None of your questions, surely.
Nobody has told you which path each gnome is guarding.

No, they have. This is The fundamental premise. The one guarding hell always tells a lie, the one guarding heaven always tells the truth.

I've heard this "riddle" before and no-one ever says the obvious answer that you ask any boolian question eg what is 2 + 2? or am I Male? and that easily demarcates the liar from the truth teller.

Please tell me if I'm missing something here, as it seems so obvious yet no-one says it. I wouldn't reply on a repetitious thread normaly but the fact no-ones apears to have mentioned this I find bewildering.

I've heard this "riddle" before and no-one ever says the obvious answer that you ask any boolian question eg what is 2 + 2? or am I Male? and that easily demarcates the liar from the truth teller.

When I first heard it I remember the exact thought I had. ( from like 40+ years ago )

Pick either one and ask:
Am I asking you a question? - determines truth from lie.
Which way to the mythical better place ? - from the info above choose.

I remember being told I wasn't playing with the other kids properly and to try again.

I never figured out what's wrong with that answer? Does it not follow the rules?
&You only have 1 question to ask both gnomes, and if you ask one know a question,( ? ) you have to ask the other gnome the exact same question- in turn that will use up your one question!

oppps I guess not. Not 2 questions, 1 question asked twice.

sorry.

Isn't?
"If I asked you where this door leads, would you tell me it leads to heaven?"
Just a double question in disguise?
if A(?) then b (?)

Last edited by a moderator:
"which road will you walk when u die" the sinner would lie and indicate heaven. the pure will not lie and indicate heaven. Both gnomes will indicate heaven.

i guess that we can ask any gnome : (if i asked the other gnome where is heaven where will he point ? ) and then I'll take the other road the gnome points to !
or maybe we can ask the one gnome to ask his friend where is heaven so if he was honest he would ask the gnome (where is heaven ) if he was a liar he would ask the gnome (where is hell) so we pick the other road the gnome points to !

<h2>1. What is the "One Question" mentioned in the title?</h2><p>The "One Question" refers to a powerful question that can help guide you in making important decisions and navigating your path in life. It is a question that can help you gain clarity and perspective on your goals, values, and purpose.</p><h2>2. How can one question help me find my way in life?</h2><p>By asking yourself the right question, you can gain insight into your inner desires, motivations, and priorities. This can help you make more informed decisions and take actions that align with your values and goals.</p><h2>3. Can this concept be applied to any aspect of life?</h2><p>Yes, the "One Question" can be applied to any aspect of life, whether it be career, relationships, personal growth, or any other area. It is a versatile tool that can help you gain clarity and direction in any situation.</p><h2>4. Is this book based on scientific research?</h2><p>Yes, this book is based on the principles of positive psychology and the power of asking the right questions. It combines research-backed strategies and practical exercises to help you navigate your path in life.</p><h2>5. Will this book provide me with a definitive answer to my life's purpose?</h2><p>No, the purpose of this book is not to give you a definitive answer to your life's purpose. Instead, it aims to guide you in finding your own answers through self-reflection and asking the "One Question". Your purpose is unique to you and can only be discovered by yourself.</p>

1. What is the "One Question" mentioned in the title?

The "One Question" refers to a powerful question that can help guide you in making important decisions and navigating your path in life. It is a question that can help you gain clarity and perspective on your goals, values, and purpose.

2. How can one question help me find my way in life?

By asking yourself the right question, you can gain insight into your inner desires, motivations, and priorities. This can help you make more informed decisions and take actions that align with your values and goals.

3. Can this concept be applied to any aspect of life?

Yes, the "One Question" can be applied to any aspect of life, whether it be career, relationships, personal growth, or any other area. It is a versatile tool that can help you gain clarity and direction in any situation.

4. Is this book based on scientific research?

Yes, this book is based on the principles of positive psychology and the power of asking the right questions. It combines research-backed strategies and practical exercises to help you navigate your path in life.

5. Will this book provide me with a definitive answer to my life's purpose?

No, the purpose of this book is not to give you a definitive answer to your life's purpose. Instead, it aims to guide you in finding your own answers through self-reflection and asking the "One Question". Your purpose is unique to you and can only be discovered by yourself.