Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heaven is:

Poll closed May 20, 2003.
  1. Clouds and angels... St. Peter and so on

0 vote(s)
  2. Kingdom come

1 vote(s)
  3. A state of mind or being

3 vote(s)
  4. A fictitious destination/state of mind/does not exist

8 vote(s)
  1. Apr 30, 2003 #1
    What is your definition of Heaven?

I see it as a place where Hell and an infinite variety of other conditions are of great interest and benefit to a state of being.
  2. jcsd
  3. May 1, 2003 #2
    Interesting that you see Heaven as a place and, yet, reference a state of being. Are these places of Heaven and Hell the Afterlife dimensional places to which we go or are they delusional devices to ward off the anxiety of being what we are now ?

Robert Monroe reported that during his travels in the Afterlife dimension he regularly saw hellishly delusional constructions devised by groups of souls who obsessively pursued sex (mounds of naked people in a pile clawing to get at each other) as a defensive illusion against their lostness.

Another writing describes being in Hell as an Afterlife where certain souls can not wake up to Heaven after death, caught up, no doubt, in the same illusions they devised in their Earth life.

Myself, I saw one of my friends recently, who has passed, and his eyes were not there. Instead, there was glowing red lights. We are used to association of red and fire with the Hell of the Devil. So, it made me concerned for him; concerned that he has not gotten past all of the anger he had stored within him as I knew him during this life.
  4. May 1, 2003 #3
    You neglected to add a state of mind or being "with dimensions." Which is the only way I can begin to describe it.
  5. May 1, 2003 #4
    This thread is not about hell.

I voted it was a state of mind because it seems obvious that the soul isn't a physical part of the body (although I think the soul is only a person's personality, but I stretch my boundaries and refer to the religious soul).

I see no reason for Heaven to have dimensions, it would basically be another place. Heaven perhaps is another dimension, but not multidimensional.

Although, I think the idea of Heaven and the possibility of it being another dimensions is a weak attempt by people to tie science into religion.

If Heaven truely exists, there is no physical evidence of it, so one would only assume its a state of un/consciousness.
  6. May 1, 2003 #5
    Let me ask you this? Do you dream in three dimensions? Or, is that just illusory? Don't our dreams also reflect our state of mind and being?

If we can do it in our dreams, which is merely an introduction to the spiritual world, then why not even more so in heaven?
  7. May 1, 2003 #6
    There is no evidence of dreams being an introduction into the spiritual world.
  8. May 1, 2003 #7
    To whom? There are a lot people that would tell you otherwise.
  9. May 1, 2003 #8
    Where do we go when we dream?

From the thread, The Mystery Within ...

10. May 1, 2003 #9
    They only say it, no proof. You can find a lot of people that will say a lot of foolish things, not implying this is foolish, it just has no proof. As you said above, it is just the cerebral cortex recieving signals [electrochemical process], and trying to interpret them.

Interestingly, the cerebral cortex is also involved in prayer; which, IMO, may lead to two conclusions: 1) Dreams are like prayer in the sense you are experiencing Heaven or 2) Prayer is like dreaming, it really has no affect outside of yourself, in other words, God doesn't recieve the prayers.
    Last edited: May 1, 2003
  11. May 1, 2003 #10
    Representatives and Appearances in Heaven

Excerpt from Emanuel Swedenborg, Swedish born scientist turned mystic ...

Emanuel Swedenborg - Heaven and Hell.
  12. May 1, 2003 #11
    Welcome to Physicsforums. You have certainly found a nice little hiding place for your first post. Took some navigating, to be sure. My first look at this place and I couldn't find myself here if I tried.

Iacchus32... you have a point... however... I believe a concept like Heaven is OMNIDIMENSIONAL.

Its got to be the ultimate Quantum element. It exists in every state including hell. One can believe that if one ties Love to Heaven. In the state of hell, people love their pain, anger, frustations, blame, fear and other suffering... they LOVE it... (operative word)... and so, this preference or what you called "rule of love"... is a quantum element of Heaven.

Not that I know. Just guessing.

PS... yes, this poll is about heaven... not red glowing eyes and piles of humping bodies etc.........
  13. May 1, 2003 #12
    Hey to each his own, right? ... You bet!
  14. May 1, 2003 #13
    Yes, its very cool. Actually, the guy i mentioned before, Stu Wilde, says Heaven is WARM.

He also has discerned that Hell is as cold as H E double toothpicks.

There are some physics involved in his arrival at these conclusions... but i don't remember them well.

One thing I remember is that the people who are carrying around Hell with them also create a large amount of Gravity... not the same gravity as we know it... but a kind of Attraction that brings them more grief and suffering... the thing they like to focus on most.

He says its like they have created a type of blackhole or that they are themselves attracted to a type of blackhole... possibly... hell.....

Heaven on the other hand can be a cold beer.... but also the warm feeling it creates for the person imbibing. It can be a warm feeling for the person serving the beer... they get a tip... it can be a warm feeling for the pub owner... they have customers... it can be a warm deal for the other customers... they have company... good all around.
  15. May 1, 2003 #14
    Light and Heat in Heaven

Excerpt from Emanuel Swedenborg's, Heaven and Hell ...

16. May 1, 2003 #15

Heaven is oblivion.
    Yes, a freedom from responsbilities. Without time and suffering. Without guilt and temptation. Without regret.

To die forever would be heaven. Anything else, anything with a semblence of immortality can only be hell in disguise.
  17. May 1, 2003 #16
    "The eye hath not seen, nor hath the ear heard, what God has prepared for those who love Him ..."
  18. May 1, 2003 #17

Indeed, it could turn out to be a big torture chamber...

Truly though, how can an eternity of any existence be desirable? I remember that the best way to wean someone off a chocolate addiction is to find them a job in a chocolate factory....
  19. May 1, 2003 #18
    I was not looking for myself here, quantumcarl, whatever you are meaning by that.

my apology . I have always been told that Hell is the opposite of Heaven and thought the observation of one represented the space not filled by the other.

I remove my thoughts from your board.

hi and bye
  20. May 2, 2003 #19
    heaven would be here on earth.when you die you become a ghost.you are pure energy.so your life is roaming aroud the world watching people live there lives,waiting for there loved one to join them.but the fun part is that you can fly.walk though walls and stuff.so you can travel at speeds faster than light and explore the universe.you could be anywhere in the universe.anytime you want.so heaven is like going to the moon.and seeing the first landing site for yourself.going to pluto to see if theres water on the polar caps.checking out the crab nebula.thats heaven to me.
  21. May 2, 2003 #20
    Hey FZ+... I've never seen this side of you!!! Are you related to Dickens or Wordsworth or someone!!!?

I can relate... I don't know if you've read Anne Rice and her trilogy of books exploring the possiblities of being a Vampire.

Briefly I'll point out that one of a very few of her characters, Lestat the Vampire, got so powerful that nothing could kill him... absolutely nothing. Not the traditional Sunlight (fries vampires usually) not the traditional stake in the heart... not any of the usual methods. He could not even starve to death.

So... he realized... he was truely immortal and alone among his peers and the mortals. Sort of like a rock.

In fact... 30 billion years from now, when the Sun goes supernova... Lestat will be basking in the blast... then looking for another planet to hang out on.

Sounds a bit like hell to me. Interesting though.
    Last edited: May 2, 2003
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?