1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heavier or lighter medium?

1. Jan 11, 2006 #1
    The information given is that a wave is sent though a wire with the frequency of 200 hz, and tarvles 500 m/s. A lighter witre is attached and the wave slows down to 400 m/s. Is it a higher or lighter medium?

I want to say lighter as the wavelength is decreeased, meaning it has a figher frequency, meaning a lighter medium. However, I am unsure if my thinking is correct.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2006 #2
    The frequency does not change. The wavelength does change, but so does the speed of your wave. They both change at the same rate Eg, wavelength/2, speed/2, v=a/t, so t=a/v. If both a (distance) and v (velocity) change at the same rate, t (time to cover the distance, i.e. one wave) remains the same.

However, something does change. Obviously, a heavier wire takes more energy to move, so, erm, think.

Sorry if I am not being very clear.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?