Heavy Metal in Baghdad Documentary: Watch on Netflix

• News
  • Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Metal
In summary, "Heavy Metal in Baghdad" is a documentary that follows a heavy metal band in Baghdad from 2002-2007. It focuses less on the music and more on the personal struggles of the young men in the band, giving a human perspective on the day-to-day struggles in Iraq during this time period. The film can be streamed on Netflix and a trailer is available on the website. There is also discussion about the potential political influence of heavy metal in Iraq.
I watched this documentary a few weeks ago and want to recommend it. Film crews follow a heavy metal band located in Baghdad from 2002-2007. It's really less about the music and more about the personal experiences and struggles this band of young men go through. It really puts a human face on day to day struggles in Iraq during these years. Those with Netflix can stream on their computers.

Website with trailer on next page:
http://www.heavymetalinbaghdad.com/

Physics news on Phys.org
Sad, when I read the title of the thread I thought it was about bombs :frown:.

lisab said:
Sad, when I read the title of the thread I thought it was about bombs :frown:.

Weird, I thought it was about cobalt and zinc.

Interesting trailer to say the least. I wish I had netflix to watch it!

I expected depleted uranium...

It looks interesting.

An online friend of mine who went into the military and was stationed in Iraq said that he wanted to bring punk music to Iraq and inspire the people to stand up for their rights.

I am unsure of the influence of heavy metal in the political scene. I think that some modern metal is more politically influenced than in my youth. When I was in high school it had more of a countercultural message. The politics of metal seemed to be restricted mostly to war which I guess is perhaps more apropos to the subject of the documentary.

1. What is the "Heavy Metal in Baghdad" documentary about?

The "Heavy Metal in Baghdad" documentary follows the journey of a heavy metal band from Iraq called Acrassicauda, as they navigate through the chaotic and dangerous environment of Baghdad in the midst of the Iraq War. It documents their struggles and determination to continue making music despite the constant threat of violence and instability in their country.

2. Is the documentary available to watch on Netflix?

Yes, the "Heavy Metal in Baghdad" documentary is available to watch on Netflix. It was released on the platform in 2008 and can be streamed by subscribers of the service.

3. Who directed the "Heavy Metal in Baghdad" documentary?

The documentary was directed by Eddy Moretti and Suroosh Alvi, who are also the co-founders of Vice Media. They followed the band for over two years and captured their journey on film.

4. Are there any notable musicians or bands featured in the documentary?

Yes, the documentary features interviews with well-known musicians such as Metallica, Slayer, and Testament, who share their thoughts on the impact of heavy metal music in a war-torn country. The documentary also includes footage of Acrassicauda performing with the band Testament in Istanbul, Turkey.

5. Does the documentary provide any insight into the heavy metal scene in Iraq?

Yes, the documentary provides a unique and intimate look into the heavy metal scene in Iraq during a time of great turmoil and conflict. It showcases the passion and resilience of the musicians and the challenges they face in a country where heavy metal music is often viewed as taboo and dangerous.