Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heavy Water

1. Mar 21, 2010 #1
    Hello everyone. I am trying to isolate heavy water from regular tap water. It turns out to be much more difficult than I expected. Anyone have some advice or a relatively inexpensive method of doing this?
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2010 #2

Staff: Mentor

I doubt such thing as a "small scale inexpensive method" exists.
  4. Mar 24, 2010 #3
    Well, heavy water is about 11% denser than normal water, but its not as simple as siphoning off the bottom level of standing water.
  5. Mar 24, 2010 #4

Gold Member

atw (according to Wiki):

6. Mar 25, 2010 #5
    Problem is there is no meaningful amount heavy water in tap water. If the water had say 10% heavy water in it I bet there are loads of processes that would work but to extract meaningful amounts from normal tap water is not feasible.
  7. Mar 25, 2010 #6

Gold Member

According to that same Wiki article, normal water contains about one in 3200 molecules of heavy water. That's pretty meaningful.

To get a millilitre of heavy water, you would need to process a mere 3.2 litres.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook