Understanding the Heaviside Function and Rewriting Sine Homework

In summary, the conversation was about rewriting the function f(t). The original function was given as 5sin(t) for 0 < t < 2pi and 0 for t > 2pi. However, after some calculations, the answer was found to be (5 - 5e^-2pis)/(s^2 + 1) instead of (10 - 5e^-2pis)/(s^2 + 1) as initially thought. The confusion arose from assuming that u(t) was equal to 2pi, when in fact it can only be either 0 or 1.
nicolayh

Homework Statement

[tex] f(t) = \left\{ \begin{array}{rcl}
5sin(t) & \mbox{for}
& 0 < t < 2\pi \\
0 & \mbox{for} & t > 2\pi
\end{array}\right. [/tex]

Now, the problem is about rewriting f(t). My friend and I decided that it had to be

[tex] \dfrac{10 - 5e^{-2\pi s}}{s^2 + 1} [/tex]

However, the answer turned out to be [tex] \dfrac{5 - 5e^{-2\pi s}}{s^2 + 1} [/tex]

Any help towards understanding this would be greatly appreciated! (We assumed they divided the first part by [tex]2\pi[/tex] when we extended [tex]5sin(t)[/tex] to [tex]5sin(t - 2\pi)[/tex], but we don't understand why!)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Did you begin by writing

[tex]f(t) = 5\sin t(u(t) - u(t-2\pi) )[/tex]?

LCKurtz said:
Did you begin by writing

[tex]f(t) = 5\sin t(u(t) - u(t-2\pi) )[/tex]?

Yeah, but we thought in this case that u(t) was [tex]2\pi[/tex], I guess that wasn't the case? :P

nicolayh said:
Yeah, but we thought in this case that u(t) was [tex]2\pi[/tex], I guess that wasn't the case? :P

Nope, I guess not. u(t) is either 0 or 1.

Thank you very much! :)

1. What is the Heaviside function for sine?

The Heaviside function for sine is a mathematical function used to represent the step function for the sine wave. It has a value of 0 for negative inputs and a value of 1 for positive inputs.

2. How is the Heaviside function for sine used in science?

The Heaviside function for sine is commonly used in physics and engineering to model and analyze step functions in systems involving oscillations, such as electrical circuits and mechanical systems.

3. What is the difference between the Heaviside function for sine and the unit step function?

The Heaviside function for sine is a specific type of unit step function that is used to represent the step function for a sine wave. It differs from the unit step function in that it is only defined for the sine wave and has a value of 0 for negative inputs.

4. Can the Heaviside function for sine be applied to other types of waves?

No, the Heaviside function for sine is specifically designed to represent the step function for a sine wave. It cannot be applied to other types of waves such as square waves or triangle waves.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the Heaviside function for sine?

Yes, the Heaviside function for sine has numerous real-world applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and signal processing. It is used to model and analyze step functions in systems involving oscillations, such as electrical circuits and mechanical systems.