What is the significance of 744 in Heegner Numbers?

• Thread starter Anti-Crackpot
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Numbers
In summary, the number 744 is the second term in the q expansion of the j-invariant and has a connection to elliptic curves. The number 12 also plays a special role in this topic and is related to Heegner numbers and Euler's Lucky Primes. There may also be a link to Klein's Quartic Curve.
Anti-Crackpot
Just curious if anyone had thoughts to offer on where the 744 comes from. I know it's the second term in the q expansion of the j-invariant, but since I am not much familiar with the intricacies of the maths for either q or j, I'm kind of flummoxed past that.

TIA for any thoughts,
AC

Physics news on Phys.org
Anti-Crackpot said:
Just curious if anyone had thoughts to offer on where the 744 comes from. I know it's the second term in the q expansion of the j-invariant, but since I am not much familiar with the intricacies of the maths for either q or j, I'm kind of flummoxed past that.

TIA for any thoughts,
AC

[tex]744=2^3\cdot 3 \cdot 31=12^2\cdot 31[/tex] Now, the number [itex]\,12\,[/itex] has a special role in all this mess of elliptic curves. For example, [itex]\,12^3=1728\,[/itex] divides the value of [itex]\,j(\tau)\,[/itex] , with [itex]\,\tau=\,[/itex] being a complex number with positive imaginary part, connected to a elliptic curve [itex]\,E=\mathbb Z \oplus \tau\mathbb Z[/itex].

This is very interesting and beautiful stuff, but way too messy and advanced to develop it here.

DonAntonio

DonAntonio said:
[tex]744=2^3\cdot 3 \cdot 31=12^2\cdot 31[/tex] Now, the number [itex]\,12\,[/itex] has a special role in all this mess of elliptic curves. For example, [itex]\,12^3=1728\,[/itex] divides the value of [itex]\,j(\tau)\,[/itex] , with [itex]\,\tau=\,[/itex] being a complex number with positive imaginary part, connected to a elliptic curve [itex]\,E=\mathbb Z \oplus \tau\mathbb Z[/itex].

This is very interesting and beautiful stuff, but way too messy and advanced to develop it here.

DonAntonio

Thank you for the reply Don Antonio.

Funny you should mention the number 12, because it is the divisors of 12 (modulo 12) that led to my interest in the Heegner numbers (not unrelated to the observations of Jeremy Ebert on another thread you are familiar with.) Take as our definition of "prime" the primes at the beginning of the 20th Century (thus 1 is indexed as p_0) and now insert 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 6 as prime indices: 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 13. Iterate again as prime indices: 2, 3, 5, 11, 17, 41, which are Euler's Lucky Primes. These relate quite simply to the last 6 Heegner numbers by the rule 4p - 1.

If, on the other hand, you take the divisors of 12 sans modulo, you get Euler's Convenient Primes after the first iteration. These are primes not of form a^1b + b^1c + a^1c. I include the 1's as exponents to suggest the possibility of a link to Klein's Quartic Curve since, if you switch the 1's to 3's, that's exactly what you get.

- AC

P.S. Seems to be a little typo above. 744 = 12 * 2 * 31 = 24*31 rather than 12^2 * 31

Last edited:

1. What are Heegner Numbers?

Heegner numbers are a special set of numbers in mathematics that have been extensively studied due to their unique properties and connections to other areas of math, such as number theory and algebraic geometry.

2. Why is 744 a Heegner Number?

The number 744 is considered a Heegner number because it satisfies the Heegner's Criterion. This criterion states that a number is a Heegner number if it is a positive integer that is the discriminant of a unique imaginary quadratic field.

3. Why is 744 significant in mathematics?

The number 744 is significant in mathematics because it is the smallest non-trivial Heegner number. It was also the first Heegner number to be discovered by mathematician Kurt Heegner in 1952. It has since been extensively studied and has many interesting connections and properties.

4. Why is 744 significant in number theory?

744 is significant in number theory because it is the smallest number that can be written as the sum of two cubes in two different ways, which is known as a taxicab number. It is also one of only three known Heegner numbers that can be expressed as the sum of two cubes in two different ways.

5. What is the significance of the number 744 in other areas of math?

The number 744 has connections to other areas of math, such as algebraic geometry and modular forms. It is related to the famous Ramanujan's tau function, which is an important topic in number theory. It also has connections to the theory of elliptic curves and the famous Birch and Swinnerton-Dyer conjecture.