Understanding Hegelian Dialectic: A+B=C Explained

• Thread starter a2tha3
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about the concept of Hegelian Dialectic and its application. The speaker is unsure about its application and asks for someone to explain it in simpler terms. Another person shares their understanding that A and B are complementary opposites that form a new reality, C. The conversation also briefly touches on the appropriateness of discussing dialectics in a philosophical thread.
a2tha3
I have just recently looked into the concept of Hegelian Dialectic, but I do not fully grasp any way to apply. Can someone who has a full understanding of it possibly break it down to simpler terms? I get A + B = C (Where C IS the opposite of A and B) I think

So if "my idea of freedom" conflicts "your idea of freedom" then none of us can be free until we are all slaves

I got to go due to the fact I am not supposed to be on the computers at school

please respond

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I can't say I have a full grasp of Hegel. Anybody that does has my respect though.

Should dialectics even be in the philosophical thread? If not, someone tell me where the proper place to post this is.

I think this is a good place to ask. I'd like to see other answers.
My understanding is A and B are complementary opposites and partial aspects of them = C, a new reality.

1. What is Hegelian dialectic?

Hegelian dialectic is a philosophical concept developed by German philosopher Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel in the 19th century. It is a method for understanding how ideas and concepts develop and evolve through a process of thesis, antithesis, and synthesis.

2. How does the A+B=C formula fit into Hegelian dialectic?

The A+B=C formula is a simplified way of understanding the three stages of Hegelian dialectic. A represents the thesis, or the original idea or concept. B represents the antithesis, or the opposing idea or concept. And C represents the synthesis, which is the combination of A and B, creating a new and more complex idea or concept.

3. What is the purpose of Hegelian dialectic?

The purpose of Hegelian dialectic is to understand the process of change and development of ideas and concepts. It allows us to see how seemingly opposing ideas can come together to create a more complex and nuanced understanding of a concept. It also helps us to recognize the limitations and contradictions of any one idea or concept.

4. Can Hegelian dialectic be applied to real-world situations?

Yes, Hegelian dialectic can be applied to real-world situations. In fact, it is often used in fields such as politics, sociology, and economics to analyze historical events and societal changes. It can also be used as a tool for problem-solving and decision-making.

5. How can understanding Hegelian dialectic benefit me?

Understanding Hegelian dialectic can benefit you by providing a deeper understanding of how ideas and concepts evolve and change over time. It can also help you to think critically and analyze complex situations more effectively. Additionally, it can improve your ability to communicate and collaborate with others who may hold different perspectives.