Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hehe A 16 years old guy messing around

1. Sep 18, 2004 #1
    Hehe.... A 16 years old guy messing around...

Hehe... I am a 16 years old guy as mentioned in the title....

Ok... I am curious about this question.... Are there anything in this world which is objective in nature ????

I feel that everything... Every standard... be it the law... Morals.... All of these are subjective in nature.... I mean... How do you define morale ??? As in whether it is correct or wrong... Even Justice to me.. Is only a warped idea of the majority in this world....

What if... Marrying your sister is not wrong ?? Why if the majority of this world's population does that... Having sex with your parents.... Wouldn't that be the norm now ??? IF that is the case...

So... ok... I dun have anymore inspiration now... This is roughly my agruement and question...

IS THERE ANYTHING IN THIS WORLD OBJECTIVE ???

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2004 #2
    you're right. but the power of the society, global consciousness and sub-consciousness keeps such instincts, feelings, surpressed, and promotes others such as wah in ihaq. because it has a certain goal, of course, not just so...

it's wrong to have sex with your parents but it's right to kill for example. i'm not going to elaborate any further i'm just going to say that i'm happy to encounter such an open-minded thread on this forum. i think it's the only one i've seen in my 6 monthz here. geeze.

even on "philosophy" forums there is nothing but self-censoring, even their philosophy is within the boundaries of currently acceptable values and rules in our society.

if a lightning strikes they group under a tree like a herd of sheep and give comfort to eachother.

and so the philosophical debates are limited to the narrow niche of our civilisation, even separate societies and cultures, and are as such relatively uninteresting to anyone with a REALLY open mind who can see the whole picture. humanity yet lacks self-insight, self-criticism, empathy, objectiveness, braveness, curiosity to open these pages of their book, to see what could have been, and to experience what can be.

or does it?

4. Oct 8, 2004 #3
    and no, nothing in this world is objective, you, we, make values.

and no, our values on this world are NEVER objective when regarding HUMANS. because human is not an object....

5. Oct 8, 2004 #4
    Is its subjective, how can it be considered warped?

Just keep in mind, just because you believe morality is subjective doesn't mean you believe it is relative. It is an important distinction.

6. Oct 8, 2004 #5
    Is anything in this world subjective?

7. Oct 8, 2004 #6

Where is your argument. You've merely asserted that it may be the case that our first-order moral judgments are matters of opinion, rather than being true or false independently of what anybody believes. Is there any reason to believe that your assertion is actually correct?

8. Oct 12, 2004 #7
    yes, it's called logic in combination with TRUE objective thinking...when you're old enough you'll understand:-) Perhaps.

It takes some guts just to start thinking on such subject since you have to literally free yourself from the confines of the society and things that are "normal".

it's rather hard since the programming begins as soon as you are born, but some people manage to do that, either because of the circumstances or because of their own hard work, or better, hard thinking.

first, you have to understand that a human subject is epicenter of valuing, then attain a hollistic view and then.......you'll have human behaviour and relations served on a silver, or rather golden, plate.

of course that does not mean that i'll be running around having sex with my parents, since i live in a society that does not like that, and i was not taught to do that, instead, it means that i have freed my mind and i can think objectively on ANY matter, even those that i DO NOT like. that is, perhaps, the hardest thing.

when i do that, i can see right through the morals and their purposes and current human systems, leaving prejudices behind and enjoying TRUE knowledge.
    THEN i can make objective opinions and see everything clearly.

but you must *leave feelings behind* when even thinking about thinking about such things.

oh hell i can't explain that i give up.

9. Oct 12, 2004 #8
    plunge into *ultimate nihilism*, *retaining reason*, then you'll be able to rise again from hell to heaven at your will, you'll be able to see through the walls of society, and then, only then, you'll know what i'm talking about.

10. Oct 12, 2004 #9
    but it's as much chance you'll end up in a clinic for mental hygiene.

11. Oct 12, 2004 #10

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There are, AFAIK, three unequivocal truths. These are unequivocally true because, to try to prove them false, you must first assume them true.

1) I exist.
    2) I am sentient.
    3) Things are defined by their properties.

- Warren

12. Oct 12, 2004 #11
    I don't agree with you chroot. I'd say Exist. But not *I*. How do you know if someone else has been dreaming you your whole life? It happens you dream that you're someone else... And What is You?
    Subjectivity is a huge problem, just as much Objectivity is. I can only attain balance.

13. Oct 12, 2004 #12

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The phrase "I exist" must be true. You must exist in order to even attempt to refute it.

You may exist in someone else's dream, but that does not mean that you do not exist.

- Warren

14. Oct 12, 2004 #13
    A person in my dream isn't him. It's me.

But point two: Who Are You? I learn that I am me through the world outside me. Since I have to go through the 'outside' world to confirm I have a brain, What makes me sure of what? And atoms go in and out of me. In through you and back. Why can't I be You? Ergo the surest principle I can attain is that We Are.

And who are you? Which part of the brain is You? Ergo the Subjectivity Problem.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2004
  15. Oct 13, 2004 #14
    I don't know if anyone is going to agree with me. But it's sad to know that almost all of our decisions are not only ours but also a bit of hers, his or theirs.

Which is objective in nature? I say it's such a hard question for me to answer since I even don't know if I am wrong or right with my answer.

I don't know if I have gone off the topic but how you know that you are right or wrong, asking yourself ? or most of the time you are looking for someone's opinion? Isn't it objective or subjective?

XMLT

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?