Hehe no more soda for the kiddies

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
In summary: We have a vegetable soup, a vegetable salad, and a piece of fruit. No soda and no processed foods.In summary, the article discusses how some lobbyists got soda into schools, and how this is bad for students because it leads to them getting fat. It also discusses how eating high sugar content snacks before a cross country run is not going to help you in the long run, and how there are healthier options available.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
hehe no more soda for the kiddies :D

http://famulus.msnbc.com/famulusgen/reuters09-01-175955.asp?t=renew&vts=9120052319 [Broken]

Thank god i got out of high school before all this craziness started!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Which craziness?

Can't say that any school I ever attended had soda anywhere on the campus, well maybe the teachers lounge. What lobbyists got soda into schools in the first place?

There are quite a few vending machines at my high school. Not that I ever use them, though if I wanted anything to drink, I could just walk to a grocery store during lunch...

I seriously think this is great. I stopped drinking cokes about 3-4 years ago.

Most of the soda makers pay schools to put there brand in them. Its the best advertising bank for the buck.

hypatia said:
Most of the soda makers pay schools to put there brand in them. Its the best advertising bank for the buck.

Wow, what's next putting McDonalds in the cafaterias? Maybe Nike could open a store there too. :rolleyes:

I can't really disagree with what they are doing. Although, I always cringe when I see a headline with a government body "banning" anything.

Don't let your kids get fat.

It's sad how countries are dying of starvation, and we are sitting here dying for over-eating.

Very sad.

my school is removing all snack vending machines and soda machines, and also will be shutting down the snack bar line.
So punish everyone because a few (ok alot) of kids get fat!
I need my vending machine! after going 8 hours with no good food, i need to eat something before cross country practice (i don't get cramps from eating before i run, don't worry(unless i eat alot))
That's taking it too far, the problem starts at home, not school. If the kids are fat, then its the parents fault, not the schools. school's are for learning, not being healthy/ babysitting. being healthy/babbysitting/ "the talk" are what al gore invented parents for, just like he invented the internet.

Fibonacci

I'm by no means an expert on nutrition, but I can tell you that eating high sugar content snacks before a cross country run is not going to help you in the long run (no pun intended). High sugar content foods give us a lot of energy very quickly but is drops off rather quickly also, leaving you with less energy to finish the activity. Also it's not impossible to take a snack with you to school with higher nutritional value and greater energy potential. There is no excuse for going 8 hours without food, That is one of the things that lead to people getting fat in the first place.

Arent you suppose to load up on carbs for the big race :D

I believe complex carbs is what they refer to, not simple sugars. Like I said I'm no expert.

Yeah, you should load up on complex carbs, and a combination of simple and complex carbs during the day of the race or during the race.

To prevent cramps, you need food with potassium in it. Try a banana, or an orange.

The bottom line... 95% of Americans and Canadians are unhealthy. Just because you're thin, it does not mean you are healthier.

It's not difficult to eat healthy and in moderation. Not hard at all.

Just when you thought you knew everything...

1. In many states the highway patrol carries two gallons of Coke in the trunk to remove blood from the highway after a car accident.

2. You can put a T-bone steak in a bowl of coke and it will be gone in two days.

3. To clean a toilet: Pour a can of Coca-Cola into the toilet bowl... Let the "real thing" sit for one hour, then flush clean.

4. The citric acid in Coke removes stains from vitreous china.

5. To remove rust spots from chrome car bumpers: Rub the bumper with a crumpled-up piece of Reynolds Wrap aluminum foil dipped in Coca-Cola.

6. To clean corrosion from car battery terminals: Pour a can of Coca-Cola over the terminals to bubble away corrosion.

7. To loosen a rusted bolt: Applying a cloth soaked in Coca-Cola to the rusted bolt for several minutes.

8. To remove grease from clothes: Empty a can of coke into a load of greasy clothes, add detergent, and run through a regular cycle. The Coca-Cola will help loosen grease stains. It will also clean road haze from your windshield.

9.The active ingredient in Coke is phosphoric acid. Its pH is 2.8. It will dissolve a nail in about 4 days.

10.To carry Coca Cola syrup (the concentrate) the commercial truck must use the Hazardous material place cards reserved for Highly Corrosive materials.

11.The distributors of coke have been using it to clean the engines of their trucks for about 20 years!

I'll leave the debunking up to someone else...:)

We don't do the soda thing. We grow our own veggies organically. The kids have garden vegetables at most meals at home.

Our dinner tonight for a family of four was about 8 dollars. That's 6.00 for the pork chops that we grilled, and a couple bucks for the milk and etc. We had home grown corn on the cob and home grown sliced Brandywine tomatoes on the side. Everyone went away full.

Organic, healthy, cheap, lots of veggies. Easy too. It doesn't get much better.

It's not really the school's or the districts business to monitor the kids' health issues. If the parents don't want their kid to be fat, make them get some excersize or eat right. don't punish an entire district full of kids because some of them are overweight

pattylou said:
I'll leave the debunking up to someone else...:)

We don't do the soda thing. We grow our own veggies organically. The kids have garden vegetables at most meals at home.

Our dinner tonight for a family of four was about 8 dollars. That's 6.00 for the pork chops that we grilled, and a couple bucks for the milk and etc. We had home grown corn on the cob and home grown sliced Brandywine tomatoes on the side. Everyone went away full.

Organic, healthy, cheap, lots of veggies. Easy too. It doesn't get much better.

Here is a page that lends some insight to the other side of the fence. While I'm sure coke isn't at all good for you, I think some of those examples you quoted are myth. Orange juice has in fact more acid in it than coke does.

http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/tooth.asp

Salsa will clean a penny. Better stop eating all mexican food.

Well, I did say I'd leave the debunking to someone else.

I posted the list for its ugh value, not for its accuracy. :) The ugh value would have been compromised if I debunked the thing myself!

yomamma said:
It's not really the school's or the districts business to monitor the kids' health issues. If the parents don't want their kid to be fat, make them get some excersize or eat right.
A little difficult when they spend so many hours at school with all the those tempting bad food choices.
don't punish an entire district full of kids because some of them are overweight

Why can't the one's who's parents don't mind if they drink soda at school, just send it with their kid's? Why must the school supply it?
Also, how is not selling soda at school a punsishment? It isn't like the ability to buy soda at school is some sort of right for all students.

the punishment is first selling it, then taking it away. They wouldn't care if they never had one, but only because they used to.

and I see no problem with the school supplying it, they're making money.

my friends bring beer in the school. and sometimes even pot!
tried it sometimes. :wink: couldn't get up till 11 in the morning after i slept at 6 at night.

GOD__AM said:
I'm by no means an expert on nutrition, but I can tell you that eating high sugar content snacks before a cross country run is not going to help you in the long run (no pun intended). High sugar content foods give us a lot of energy very quickly but is drops off rather quickly also, leaving you with less energy to finish the activity. Also it's not impossible to take a snack with you to school with higher nutritional value and greater energy potential. There is no excuse for going 8 hours without food, That is one of the things that lead to people getting fat in the first place.

it was only cheetos :cry:

JasonRox said:
Yeah, you should load up on complex carbs, and a combination of simple and complex carbs during the day of the race or during the race.

To prevent cramps, you need food with potassium in it. Try a banana, or an orange.

The bottom line... 95% of Americans and Canadians are unhealthy. Just because you're thin, it does not mean you are healthier.

It's not difficult to eat healthy and in moderation. Not hard at all.

yeah, but when the only decent food offered for lunch is pizza with a thick layer of greese on top, it is

What does "Hehe no more soda for the kiddies" mean?

"Hehe no more soda for the kiddies" is a statement that means children will no longer have access to soda or sugary beverages.

Why is limiting soda consumption important for children?

Limiting soda consumption is important for children because these beverages are often high in sugar and calories, which can contribute to obesity and other health issues. Additionally, soda does not provide any essential nutrients and can displace healthier beverage options like water or milk.

What are the potential health risks associated with excessive soda consumption in children?

Excessive soda consumption in children has been linked to an increased risk of obesity, type 2 diabetes, dental cavities, and other health problems. It can also lead to poor dietary habits and a decreased intake of essential nutrients.

How can parents encourage their children to drink less soda?

Parents can encourage their children to drink less soda by setting a good example and limiting their own consumption, offering healthier beverage options like water or flavored water, and explaining the potential health risks associated with excessive soda consumption.

Are there any exceptions to limiting soda consumption for children?

While it is generally recommended to limit soda consumption for children, there may be exceptions for certain medical conditions or situations. It is always best to consult with a healthcare professional for personalized recommendations.