Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hehe no more soda for the kiddies

1. Sep 2, 2005 #1

Pengwuino

Gold Member

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2005 #2

Janus

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Which craziness?

4. Sep 2, 2005 #3
    Can't say that any school I ever attended had soda anywhere on the campus, well maybe the teachers lounge. What lobbyists got soda into schools in the first place?

5. Sep 2, 2005 #4
    There are quite a few vending machines at my highschool. Not that I ever use them, though if I wanted anything to drink, I could just walk to a grocery store during lunch...

6. Sep 2, 2005 #5
    I seriously think this is great. I stopped drinking cokes about 3-4 years ago.

7. Sep 2, 2005 #6
    Most of the soda makers pay schools to put there brand in them. Its the best advertising bank for the buck.

8. Sep 2, 2005 #7
    Wow, whats next putting McDonalds in the cafaterias? Maybe Nike could open a store there too. :rolleyes:

9. Sep 2, 2005 #8

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

I can't really disagree with what they are doing. Although, I always cringe when I see a headline with a government body "banning" anything.

10. Sep 2, 2005 #9

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Don't let your kids get fat.

It's sad how countries are dying of starvation, and we are sitting here dying for over-eating.

Very sad.

11. Sep 2, 2005 #10
    my school is removing all snack vending machines and soda machines, and also will be shutting down the snack bar line.
    So punish everyone because a few (ok alot) of kids get fat!
    I need my vending machine! after going 8 hours with no good food, i need to eat something before cross country practice (i don't get cramps from eating before i run, don't worry(unless i eat alot))
    That's taking it too far, the problem starts at home, not school. If the kids are fat, then its the parents fault, not the schools. school's are for learning, not being healthy/ babysitting. being healthy/babbysitting/ "the talk" are what al gore invented parents for, just like he invented the internet.

Fibonacci

12. Sep 2, 2005 #11
    I'm by no means an expert on nutrition, but I can tell you that eating high sugar content snacks before a cross country run is not going to help you in the long run (no pun intended). High sugar content foods give us a lot of energy very quickly but is drops off rather quickly also, leaving you with less energy to finish the activity. Also it's not impossible to take a snack with you to school with higher nutritional value and greater energy potential. There is no excuse for going 8 hours without food, That is one of the things that lead to people getting fat in the first place.

13. Sep 2, 2005 #12

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Arent you suppose to load up on carbs for the big race :D

14. Sep 2, 2005 #13
    I believe complex carbs is what they refer to, not simple sugars. Like I said I'm no expert.

15. Sep 2, 2005 #14

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yeah, you should load up on complex carbs, and a combination of simple and complex carbs during the day of the race or during the race.

To prevent cramps, you need food with potassium in it. Try a banana, or an orange.

The bottom line... 95% of Americans and Canadians are unhealthy. Just because you're thin, it does not mean you are healthier.

It's not difficult to eat healthy and in moderation. Not hard at all.

16. Sep 2, 2005 #15
    I'll leave the debunking up to someone else.....:)

We don't do the soda thing. We grow our own veggies organically. The kids have garden vegetables at most meals at home.

Our dinner tonight for a family of four was about 8 dollars. That's 6.00 for the pork chops that we grilled, and a couple bucks for the milk and etc. We had home grown corn on the cob and home grown sliced Brandywine tomatoes on the side. Everyone went away full.

Organic, healthy, cheap, lots of veggies. Easy too. It doesn't get much better.

17. Sep 2, 2005 #16

JamesU

Gold Member

It's not really the school's or the districts business to monitor the kids' health issues. If the parents don't want their kid to be fat, make them get some excersize or eat right. don't punish an entire district full of kids because some of them are overweight

18. Sep 2, 2005 #17

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

19. Sep 2, 2005 #18
    Here is a page that lends some insight to the other side of the fence. While I'm sure coke isn't at all good for you, I think some of those examples you quoted are myth. Orange juice has in fact more acid in it than coke does.

http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/tooth.asp

20. Sep 2, 2005 #19

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Salsa will clean a penny. Better stop eating all mexican food.

21. Sep 2, 2005 #20
    Well, I did say I'd leave the debunking to someone else.

I posted the list for its ugh value, not for its accuracy. :) The ugh value would have been compromised if I debunked the thing myself!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?