Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Medical Height and Health

1. May 4, 2008 #1
    These questions may seem a bit awkward but as I don't have any knowledge about medical field, I'd still put them forward:

Is it possible to increase human height through artificial means, like medical operation etc.?

Indulging into sexual activity reduces our energy. Would a person who is not married be more healthy and energetic than a married person?

2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2008 #2

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There is a procedure for elongating bones, but it is not usually used to increase height, per se, but rather to even out bone length in individuals who have had growth of a limb stunted for some reason. It involves breaking the bone and attaching braces to keep stretching the limb as it heals to elongate the bone. It is a slow and painful process.

I do not know the origin of this myth, but it's been asked here before, and there is simply no basis for the myth that sexual activity in any way reduces energy. So, the rest of the question becomes irrelevant.

4. May 5, 2008 #3
    masturbation doesn't spoil one's energy?

5. May 5, 2008 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No. As I said, this has been asked before, and I don't know where such a rumor has come from, but it's pretty blatantly obviously wrong.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?