1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Height field

1. Apr 20, 2006 #1
    Hello,

I have a sum:
    -------
    make a contour map from a height field h(x,y) = x^2 + y on the domain: [-3<_ x <_3 ; 0<_ y <_9]. Make an east-western cross section (paralell to x-axis) through the field h in the northern, middle and southern part of the domain and draw all three height profiles into a figure.
    -------
    Well, the first part is not really a problem, but what would be the northern, middle and southern part of such cross section? I can only imagine a negative and positive value for y and zero for the middle?

hexa

Last edited: Apr 20, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2006 #2
    y can't be negative based on the domain you supplied. Therefore, the height is always non-negative. Making a cross section I would think means make a cross section at y = 9, another at y = 4.5, and another at y = 0. In other words, set z = x^2 + y, and draw the height (z) at y = 9, 4.5, and 0.

4. Apr 20, 2006 #3
    you're right, daveb, didn't think of the domain. But still that's more or less what I thought. Thanks a lot for confirming.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?