Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Height field

1. Apr 20, 2006 #1
    Hello,

I have a sum:
    -------
    make a contour map from a height field h(x,y) = x^2 + y on the domain: [-3<_ x <_3 ; 0<_ y <_9]. Make an east-western cross section (paralell to x-axis) through the field h in the northern, middle and southern part of the domain and draw all three height profiles into a figure.
    -------
    Well, the first part is not really a problem, but what would be the northern, middle and southern part of such cross section? I can only imagine a negative and positive value for y and zero for the middle?

hexa

Last edited: Apr 20, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2006 #2
    y can't be negative based on the domain you supplied. Therefore, the height is always non-negative. Making a cross section I would think means make a cross section at y = 9, another at y = 4.5, and another at y = 0. In other words, set z = x^2 + y, and draw the height (z) at y = 9, 4.5, and 0.

4. Apr 20, 2006 #3
    you're right, daveb, didn't think of the domain. But still that's more or less what I thought. Thanks a lot for confirming.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook