1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Height in synchronous orbit?

1. Nov 27, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In order for the enterprise to use its transporter it must be in synchronous orbit over the beam-down point. What heigh above the planet mars must the enterprise be for a synchronous orbit?

2. Relevant equations
    Please, can someone tell me for future reference what I should use in the formulas for this sort of equation? For every solution I've tried on this, all of them require some radius, so should I use the radius of mars?? And please don't just tell me 'combine Newton's something law and something something law' because frankly that doesn't mean anything to me and confuses me extremely, because I find it very hard and incomprehensible to combine formulas.

Fg= Gm1m2/r^2
    ac=4pi^2r/T^2
    F=ma?
    g=Fg/m?
    T=sqrt4pi^2r^3/Gm?
    v=sqrtGm/r?

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've tried several, but I'm just not sure where to start. Should I get the Fg? The ac? I was told that since it's in a synchronous orbit the period of rotation will be the same as the planet, so all I know for sure so far is that T=8.85*10^4 s and m=6.37*10^23 kg

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2016 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

So how do you accomplish this. What is the relation between the radius and the period?

4. Nov 27, 2016 #3
    Velocity?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted