Firework Height Calculation: 712m, 23.6°C, Timer

• Thread starter leedia
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Height
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the height at which a firework exploded based on the distance from the observer, the temperature of the air, and the time it takes for the sound to reach the observer. The conversation also mentions using a diagram and the speed of sound to calculate the distance. The individual ultimately figures out the solution themselves.
leedia
Homework Statement
You are standing at a horizontal distance of 712 m from the location from which fireworks are being shot straight up. The temperature of the air this night is 23.6°C. The timer below measured the time from the explosion to when the sound reached your ears. Use all this information to find the height at which the firework exploded.This was an extra credit question, but my teacher never really went over this topic, so I don't really know where to start. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
If the firework wasn't in the air when it went off, but was on the ground some horizontal distance away from you, how would you find the distance? How does that distance between you and the firework change as it rises? The speed of sound depends on temperature, which is why it's given.

leedia said:
Homework Statement
You are standing at a horizontal distance of 712 m from the location from which fireworks are being shot straight up. The temperature of the air this night is 23.6°C. The timer below measured the time from the explosion to when the sound reached your ears. Use all this information to find the height at which the firework exploded.This was an extra credit question, but my teacher never really went over this topic, so I don't really know where to start. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
Draw a diagram. What distance do you know? What distance can you deduce from the timing information?

Nevermind, I figured it out myself. Thanks! :)

leedia said:
Nevermind, I figured it out myself. Thanks! :)
That's the best outcome.

What is the formula for calculating firework height?

The formula for calculating firework height is h = (V0^2 * sin^2 θ) / 2g, where h is the height, V0 is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of launch, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

How do you calculate the initial velocity of a firework?

The initial velocity of a firework can be calculated by measuring the horizontal distance the firework travels and the time it takes to reach that distance. Then, using the formula V0 = d/t, where V0 is the initial velocity, d is the distance, and t is the time, you can find the initial velocity.

How does temperature affect the height of a firework?

The temperature can affect the height of a firework because it can alter the air density. As temperature increases, air density decreases, causing the firework to reach a higher height. In colder temperatures, the air is denser and can hinder the firework's ascent.

Why is a timer needed for calculating firework height?

A timer is needed for calculating firework height because it allows you to measure the time it takes for the firework to reach its maximum height. This time is essential in the formula for calculating firework height and cannot be accurately determined without a timer.

How accurate is the calculated height of a firework?

The calculated height of a firework can be accurate if all the necessary variables are measured correctly, such as initial velocity, angle of launch, and time. However, external factors such as wind and air resistance can affect the accuracy of the calculation.