• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Height of a Firework

• Thread starter leedia
  • Start date
Homework Statement
You are standing at a horizontal distance of 712 m from the location from which fireworks are being shot straight up. The temperature of the air this night is 23.6°C. The timer below measured the time from the explosion to when the sound reached your ears. Use all this information to find the height at which the firework exploded.

This was an extra credit question, but my teacher never really went over this topic, so I don't really know where to start. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Answers and Replies

If the firework wasn't in the air when it went off, but was on the ground some horizontal distance away from you, how would you find the distance? How does that distance between you and the firework change as it rises? The speed of sound depends on temperature, which is why it's given.

haruspex
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Homework Statement
You are standing at a horizontal distance of 712 m from the location from which fireworks are being shot straight up. The temperature of the air this night is 23.6°C. The timer below measured the time from the explosion to when the sound reached your ears. Use all this information to find the height at which the firework exploded.

This was an extra credit question, but my teacher never really went over this topic, so I don't really know where to start. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
Draw a diagram. What distance do you know? What distance can you deduce from the timing information?

Nevermind, I figured it out myself. Thanks! :)

haruspex
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Nevermind, I figured it out myself. Thanks! :)
That's the best outcome.