1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Height of a Firework

1. May 1, 2016 #1
    The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    You are standing at a horizontal distance of 712 m from the location from which fireworks are being shot straight up. The temperature of the air this night is 23.6°C. The timer below measured the time from the explosion to when the sound reached your ears. Use all this information to find the height at which the firework exploded.

This was an extra credit question, but my teacher never really went over this topic, so I don't really know where to start. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. May 1, 2016 #2
    If the firework wasn't in the air when it went off, but was on the ground some horizontal distance away from you, how would you find the distance? How does that distance between you and the firework change as it rises? The speed of sound depends on temperature, which is why it's given.

4. May 1, 2016 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Draw a diagram. What distance do you know? What distance can you deduce from the timing information?

5. May 2, 2016 #4
    Nevermind, I figured it out myself. Thanks! :)

6. May 2, 2016 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

That's the best outcome.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted