Height of an ellipse above the plane in three dimensions (z parameter)

In summary, the expression for z in terms of r, f, w, and i is: z = (c+r*cos(f))tan(i), where r is the distance, f is the angle between the semi-major axis and the r vector, w is the angle that the semi-major axis makes with the y-axis, and i is the angle that the plane of the ellipse makes with the xy-plane. This is a parametrization of the ellipse in an astronomy problem, where the ellipse represents the orbit of an asteroid and the xy-plane represents the plane of the solar system. The variable w rotates the ellipse relative to the y-axis.
jmm5872

Homework Statement

What is the expression for z (the height above the xy-plane) in terms of r,f,w,i.

r = the distance
f = the angle between the semi-major axis and the r vector
w = the angle that the semi-major axis makes with the y-axis
i = the angle that the plane of the ellipse makes with the xy-plane

This is actually an Astronomy problem, where the ellipse is the orbit of an asteroid and the xy-plane is the plane of the solar system (planetary orbital plane).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I started by parametrizing the ellipse with respect to one of the foci:

x = c+r*cos(f)
y = r*sin(f)
z = (c+r*cos(f))tan(i)

This doesn't seem correct, or complete I guess. I'm not sure how w comes into play? w rotates the ellipse relative to the y-axis but I can't picture where it should go?

Physics news on Phys.org
I feel like I'm missing something simple but I can't seem to figure it out. Any help would be appreciated!

What is the definition of the "height of an ellipse above the plane in three dimensions (z parameter)"?

The height of an ellipse above the plane in three dimensions, also known as the z parameter, refers to the distance between the center of the ellipse and the highest point on the ellipse when viewed from a three-dimensional perspective.

How is the "height of an ellipse above the plane in three dimensions (z parameter)" calculated?

The height of an ellipse above the plane in three dimensions is calculated by taking the square root of the difference between the semi-major axis squared and the semi-minor axis squared of the ellipse. This calculation can also be represented as the square root of a squared plus b squared, where a is the semi-major axis and b is the semi-minor axis.

What factors can affect the "height of an ellipse above the plane in three dimensions (z parameter)"?

The height of an ellipse above the plane in three dimensions can be affected by the size and shape of the ellipse, as well as the orientation of the ellipse in three-dimensional space. Additionally, any changes in the semi-major and semi-minor axes of the ellipse can also impact its height above the plane.

What is the significance of knowing the "height of an ellipse above the plane in three dimensions (z parameter)"?

Knowing the height of an ellipse above the plane in three dimensions is important in various fields of study such as mathematics, engineering, and physics. It can also be useful in practical applications such as determining the height of an object or the trajectory of a moving ellipse.

How is the "height of an ellipse above the plane in three dimensions (z parameter)" represented in mathematical equations?

The height of an ellipse above the plane in three dimensions is represented in mathematical equations as z, where z is the z component of the equation of the ellipse in three-dimensional space. This component can be calculated using trigonometric functions and the semi-major and semi-minor axes of the ellipse.