1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Height of an island beyond the horizon

1. Nov 21, 2017 #21
    You said, “Normally, wouldn't you measure the distance from the observer to the island by the distance (arc length) along the surface between them?”

2. Nov 21, 2017 #22
    I’m measuring the distance by line of sight, not by the distance along the surface. How far you can see is not the same as arc length - it’s a straight line.

3. Nov 21, 2017 #23

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I understand how you are measuring the distance. It's your problem and you can do it any way you wish. I am just pointing out that the standard way to measure the distance between two points on earth is along an arc on the surface between them. If the earth were a perfect sphere these arcs would be on great circles. And, as you have noticed, for your particular calculation it doesn't make much difference.

4. Nov 22, 2017 #24
    Fair enough. My apologies if I insulted you - it was uncalled for.

As for this (from post #19):

Calculate d and s in terms of angle alpha and radius r.jpg
    "Calculate d and s in terms of the angle α and radius r. Can you see why d>s?"

No, I tried but I can't see it. I could only prove it in one case (post #16), i.e., for α = 45°. I'm too old and rusty to do a general proof.

Thanks for your help though - I appreciate it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted