1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Height of football

1. Jun 6, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A quarterback throws a football with an initial speed of 19.0 m/s at an angle 30.5deg above the horizontal. Unfortunately, the pass is incomplete and the football drops to the ground, 35.0 m away from the quaterback. From what height was the football released? (no diagram provided)

2. Relevant equations

Vy= Vknoty - gt from which we get ttot= [tex]\frac{2Vosin\vartheta}{g}[/tex]
    from the equation y= Voyty2-0.5gt0.52 we get hmax= v02sin2g[tex]\vartheta[/tex]/2g
    3. The attempt at a solution
    so to figure out far it goes i used the equation xmax= v0xttot where it wld now equal vknotcos[tex]\vartheta[/tex](2*vknot sin[tex]\vartheta[/tex]/g) + distance it travelled and i wanted to know what i was doing wrong thanx :))

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 6, 2009 #2

Cyosis

Homework Helper

Not sure what you're doing here. You set v_y=0 when the ball touches the ground? This is not true for if there had been no ground it would have continued to fall.

You know the ball traveled a distance of 35 meters in the x-direction. So you can calculate how long it took for the ball to reach that position with [itex]x=v_x t[/itex]. Knowing the flight time you can solve the initial height by using [itex]y=y_0+v_0 t-1/2 gt^2[/itex].

4. Jun 6, 2009 #3
    why wld the velocity be v0 and not Vy??

5. Jun 6, 2009 #4

Cyosis

Homework Helper

It's not I just listed the general kinematic expression for a falling object. In your case the vertical starting velocity is v_y.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2009
  6. Jun 6, 2009 #5
    thanx :))

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook