Height of Rocket After Fuel Burn

In summary, the conversation discusses a rocket's ascent in a uniform gravitational field and the height of the rocket when the fuel is exhausted. The formula for this height is given by x = ut_b - (1/2)g{t_b}^2 - (um_R/α)ln{(m_R+m_F)/m_R}, where u is the exhaust velocity of the fuel, tb is the time at burnout, α is the fuel burn rate, mR is the mass of the rocket, and mF is the mass of the fuel. The conversation also mentions the importance of maintaining unit consistency in calculations.
cpburris
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Consider a rocket making a vertical ascent in a uniform gravitational field, g. Show that the height of the rocket when the fuel is exhausted is given by

[itex] x = ut_b - \frac{1}{2}g{t_b}^2-\frac{um_R}{α}ln{\frac{m_R+m_F}{m_R}}[/itex]

where "u" is the exhaust velocity of the fuel, tb is the time at burnout, "α" is the fuel burn rate, mR is the mass of the rocket, and mF is the mass of the fuel.

The Attempt at a Solution

The differential equation of motion is, taking up as the positive direction:

[itex] m\frac{dv}{dt} = u\frac{dm}{dt} - mg [/itex]

Solving and plugging in tb I get to:

[itex] x = \frac{um_R}{α}ln{\frac{m_R+m_F}{m_R}} -\frac{1}{2}g{t_b}^2 - ut_bln(m_R+m_F) + \frac{um_F}{α}ln(m_R+m_F) - \frac{um_F}{α} [/itex]

Looks like I am getting close. Signs are off in a couple places from where I want, but I am willing to attribute that to a mistake I made somewhere. The unwanted extra terms and the coefficient in front of utb however, I can't see as being from a mistake in my calculation. That being said, I figure there must be some method to manipulate the solution to make them disappear. By request I can post my entire procedure to arrive at the point I am.

Physics news on Phys.org
The terms ln(mR+mF) make no sense. It is not possible to take the logarithm of a physical quantity unless it is unitless. masses are not unitless. What do you propose the meaning of ln(kilogram) ought to be?

In other words, your solution fails the test of unit consistency unless the offending terms turn out to cancel out. Review your calculations keeping track of unit consistency to find the source of the problem.

Alright I got it. If I grouped the last three terms and factored out ut_b the terms just become equal to one. Going over my calculations I found where I messed up the signs and everything worked out.

1. How does the height of a rocket change after fuel burn?

The height of a rocket decreases after fuel burn because the mass of the rocket decreases as the fuel is consumed, resulting in a decrease in thrust and a decrease in upward acceleration.

2. What factors affect the height of a rocket after fuel burn?

The height of a rocket after fuel burn is affected by the initial velocity of the rocket, the amount of fuel burned, the efficiency of the rocket's engines, and the force of gravity.

3. Is the height of a rocket after fuel burn constant?

No, the height of a rocket after fuel burn is not constant. It will continue to change as the rocket travels through the atmosphere, experiences air resistance, and adjusts its trajectory.

4. How does the height of a rocket after fuel burn differ in space compared to on Earth?

In space, the height of a rocket after fuel burn will continue to increase due to the absence of air resistance and the constant acceleration of gravity. On Earth, the height may decrease after fuel burn as the rocket is affected by air resistance and the force of gravity.

5. Can the height of a rocket be controlled after fuel burn?

Yes, the height of a rocket can be controlled after fuel burn by adjusting the angle of the rocket's trajectory and the amount of thrust from its engines. This can be done through guidance systems and engine throttle control.