Find Height of Sign for Optimal View at 60 Feet

In summary, the new sign at the top of the building should have a height of h such that the observer's angle of vision is at the largest possible angle when looking at the sign from 60 feet away.
chevyboy86
At the top of their 50 foot tall sales building, there is a 10 feet tall sign. But he wants to replace it with a sign for which the ideal viewing distance is 60 feet from the building. For an observer, the angle between the lines of sight from the observer's eye to the top and the bottom of the sign is a measure of the observer's view of the sign, and the best view occurs when this angle is largest possible. Assuming that the observer's eyes are 5 ft off the ground (so that the observer is approximately 5'3"), you can determine that the ideal viewing distance from the building is approximately 49.7 feet if the sign were 10 feet tall. You are to determine the height of the new sign placed at the top of the building so that the best view occurs when the observer is 60 feet from the building. Let h be the height of the new sign, and let x be the distance that the observer stands from the building.

So here is what I have done:
Tan theta= 50/x
Theta = arctan 50/x
Tan (theta + beta) = 50 + h / x
(theta + beta) = arctan 50 + h / x
theta = arctan 50 + h / x – arctan 50 / x
theta ‘ = 1/ 1 + (50 + h / x)^2 (-50 – h/ x^2) – 1/ 1 + (50/x)^2 (-50/x^2)
= -50 – h / x^2 + (50 + h)^2 + 50 / x^2 + 50^2 = 0
50 / x^2 + 50^2 = 50 + h / x^2 + (50 + h)^2

I hope you can understand, I can't get a triangle on here to show you so I hope you can follow along.

Once I get to the last line, I'm not sure what to do. I've tried plugging 60 in for x but i don't think I get a correct answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Since this looks like a classic homework problem, I'm moving this to the "homework" section.

ok so I've changed somethings.
I'm letting a represent the height of the building and h represent the height of the sign and theta represent the angle of vision between the top and bottom of the building, x represents the distance away from the building, which is 60 ft and beta which is the angle of vision between the top and bottom of the sign.
Theta = arctan(a/60), since a = 50, theta = 40 deg.
So now I get this equation: 50 + h = 60 tan beta and I don't know where to go from there.
Also do I need to take into consideration the height of the man looking at the sign?

Last edited:
nobody?? C'mon guys I need some help.

really, no one has any help?

thanks for all your help, what, do you have to be regular around here to get some answers.

1. How do you calculate the optimal height for a sign at 60 feet?

To calculate the optimal height for a sign at 60 feet, you can use the following formula: (0.6 x distance from sign in feet) + 5 feet. This formula takes into account the angle of vision at 60 feet and adds an additional 5 feet for the average height of a person.

2. What is the significance of having an optimal sign height at 60 feet?

Having an optimal sign height at 60 feet ensures that the sign is easily visible and legible to drivers and pedestrians at that distance. This is especially important for highway signs and billboards that need to be seen from a distance.

3. How do you determine the angle of vision at 60 feet?

The angle of vision at 60 feet can be determined by using the inverse tangent function on a scientific calculator. The formula is: angle of vision = arctan (height of sign / distance from sign).

4. Are there any other factors to consider when determining the optimal sign height at 60 feet?

Yes, there are other factors that may affect the optimal sign height at 60 feet. These include the speed at which drivers are traveling, the size and font of the sign, and any obstructions that may block the sign.

5. Can the optimal sign height at 60 feet be applied to all types of signs?

The formula for calculating the optimal sign height at 60 feet is based on the average height of a person and the angle of vision at that distance. Therefore, it may not be applicable to all types of signs, such as signs that need to be seen from a shorter distance or from a higher elevation.