1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Height of Slope? Mass unknown

1. Feb 3, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A box is on top of a slope. The slope has NO FRICTION. V0 = 0 m/s, V = 4m/s.

MASS IS UNKNOWN

What is the height of the slope?
    2. Relevant equations
    Equation for energy (i think)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I attempted to find the accelleration, but I do not know what the accelleration is for an object running down a slope with no friction.
    The only force applying to the box is gravity, I think.

I am new to Physics. I tried solving it, but to no avail.
    I know this can be solved without knowing the mass, but I don't know how! Help?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2015 #2
    KE at bottom should be equal to PE on the top of the slope

4. Feb 3, 2015 #3
    Yes. That I know. Bit how does this help me find the height of the Slope?

And what is the accelleration of an object running down a slope with no friction?

5. Feb 3, 2015 #4
    KE= mv^2 / 2 = mgh =PE .
    mass is omitted in the equation , therefore you can find h .
    the acceleration = F / m , you should find which component of gravity actually makes the mass running down the slope , then devide m , you got acceleration

6. Feb 3, 2015 #5
    Hi Ivar. Welcome to Physics Forums.

Jake Jungle has shown one method of getting the answer to your problem using energy conservation. But, it is not the only method, and maybe you are not that comfortable with using energy conservation. If not, have you considered drawing a free body diagram, and showing the forces acting on the box in your free body diagram?

Chet

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted