Solving for the Height of a Slope with Unknown Mass

In summary, the problem involves a box on top of a frictionless slope with unknown mass. The initial velocity of the box is 0 m/s and the final velocity is 4m/s. The goal is to find the height of the slope. This can be solved using the equation for energy and by finding the acceleration of the box, which is caused by the force of gravity. Another method is to draw a free body diagram and analyze the forces acting on the box.
Ivar

Homework Statement

A box is on top of a slope. The slope has NO FRICTION. V0 = 0 m/s, V = 4m/s.

MASS IS UNKNOWN

What is the height of the slope?

Homework Equations

Equation for energy (i think)

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted to find the accelleration, but I do not know what the accelleration is for an object running down a slope with no friction.
The only force applying to the box is gravity, I think.

I am new to Physics. I tried solving it, but to no avail.
I know this can be solved without knowing the mass, but I don't know how! Help?

Physics news on Phys.org
KE at bottom should be equal to PE on the top of the slope

Yes. That I know. Bit how does this help me find the height of the Slope?

And what is the accelleration of an object running down a slope with no friction?

KE= mv^2 / 2 = mgh =PE .
mass is omitted in the equation , therefore you can find h .
the acceleration = F / m , you should find which component of gravity actually makes the mass running down the slope , then divide m , you got acceleration

Hi Ivar. Welcome to Physics Forums.

Jake Jungle has shown one method of getting the answer to your problem using energy conservation. But, it is not the only method, and maybe you are not that comfortable with using energy conservation. If not, have you considered drawing a free body diagram, and showing the forces acting on the box in your free body diagram?

Chet

1. What is the height of slope?

The height of slope refers to the vertical distance between the highest and lowest points on a slope.

2. How is the height of slope measured?

The height of slope is typically measured using a measuring instrument, such as a ruler or a tape measure, and by taking vertical measurements at various points along the slope.

3. Why is the mass unknown in this context?

In this context, the mass refers to the weight of the slope itself. Since slopes are typically made up of a variety of materials, each with different weights, it is difficult to accurately determine the total mass of the slope.

4. How is the height of slope used in scientific research?

The height of slope is an important factor in studying erosion, landslides, and other geological processes. It is also used in engineering and construction projects to ensure the stability and safety of structures built on slopes.

5. Can the height of slope change over time?

Yes, the height of slope can change over time due to various factors such as erosion, weathering, and human activities. Ongoing monitoring and measurements are important in understanding these changes and their potential impacts.