Calculating the Vertical Height of Stairs Climbed by a 65.0 kg Student

• Thread starter Brittykitty
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Height
In summary: No problem! :)And remember, the more you practice, the more you'll get used to it. Even though you may feel a bit confused at times, the more you keep at it, the easier it'll become.
Brittykitty
A 65.0 kg student climbs a set of stairs in 25.0 s with a power output of 95 W. What is the vertical height of the stairs?

I came up with the formula:

W=P x (delta t)
W=95w(25.0s)

Im not sure how this comes into play:
W = mg (delta h)

Im really confused :|

Physics news on Phys.org
You're on the right track. :approve:

Work is equal to force times distance. mg is the force. delta h is the distance.

[Edit: Technically, for a constant force, [tex] W = \vec F \cdot \vec s [/tex] where the dot is the vector dot product using the total distance s. But here (in this problem) gravity points straight down. The component of s that is parallel to the force is delta h, the height of the stairs!]

Last edited:
Brittykitty said:
A 65.0 kg student climbs a set of stairs in 25.0 s with a power output of 95 W. What is the vertical height of the stairs?

I came up with the formula:

W=P x (delta t)
W=95w(25.0s)
2375joules
the units for work are Newton-meters, or Joules
Im not sure how this comes into play:
W = mg (delta h)
That's right, this is the work done the climber against gravity, at assumed constant velocity.
Im really confused :|
Why? Solve for delta h.

Edit: confirming collinsmark reply.

I'm not quite sure that I get it :(

So when I find the force that will be my height? This is the most confusing question to me lol

How do I find delta h?

Brittykitty said:
I'm not quite sure that I get it :(

So when I find the force that will be my height? This is the most confusing question to me lol

You had it in your original post. Earlier (in my previous post) I was simply confirming that your approach was correct. :smile:

You had already calculated,

[tex] W = P\Delta t [/tex]

such that W = 2375 J. But you also worked out that

[tex] W = mg \Delta h [/tex],

therefore,

[tex] \mbox{2375 J} = mg \Delta h [/tex].

Solve for [itex] \Delta h [/itex], where [itex] \Delta h [/itex] is the height of the stairs.

[I didn't mean to confuse you with the vector dot product stuff. All I was trying to point out was that it's not necessary to know the 3-dimensional length of the stairs. Since gravity is the only external force involved (well, besides normal forces and such) (and I'm also assuming that the student is ascending the stairs at a constant velocity [i.e. not accelerating] for simplicity), then gravity is the only force the student is "fighting." That means the height of the stairs (and not its overall length) is the only distance that matters.]
[Edit: Oh, and I'm also ignoring air resistance and the like. :wink:]

Last edited:
Thank you :)
so since
2375 J =mg(h) do I need to rearrange it so its h= ?

m=65
g=(9.81)
(h)=?
J= 2375

I sort of it get it but still not sure.. terrible at physics

h=(2375J)(9.81) ?

Brittykitty said:
h=(2375J)(9.81) ?

No, if you do anything to an equation, you have to do it to both sides of the equation (if you don't, then the two sides won't be equal anymore). For the equation:

W = mgh

...in order to leave just h on the right hand side, you need to divide the right hand side by mg. Therefore, you need to divide the left hand side by mg as well.

2375 J =mgh

(65)(9.81)=637.65
2375J/637.65
=3.72?

Brittykitty said:
2375 J =mgh

(65)(9.81)=637.65
2375J/637.65
=3.72?

Yeh! Your 3.72 m result looks good to me (but don't forget your units). :tongue:

Thank you so much! :) :) :)

1. How do you calculate the vertical height of stairs climbed?

The vertical height of stairs climbed can be calculated by multiplying the number of stairs climbed by the height of each stair. For example, if a student climbed 10 stairs, each with a height of 7 inches, the total vertical height climbed would be 70 inches.

2. What is the standard unit of measurement for vertical height of stairs climbed?

The standard unit of measurement for vertical height of stairs climbed is usually inches or centimeters. However, it can also be measured in feet or meters depending on the preference of the researcher.

3. How does the weight of the student affect the calculation of vertical height climbed?

The weight of the student does not directly affect the calculation of vertical height climbed. However, it may impact the amount of energy required to climb the stairs and can be factored in when looking at the overall physical exertion of the activity.

4. Is it necessary to factor in the height of the student when calculating vertical height of stairs climbed?

No, it is not necessary to factor in the height of the student when calculating vertical height of stairs climbed. The height of the stairs and the number of stairs climbed are the main components needed for the calculation.

5. Are there any other factors that need to be considered when calculating vertical height of stairs climbed?

Other factors that may need to be considered when calculating vertical height of stairs climbed include the incline or steepness of the stairs, as well as any breaks or stops taken during the climbing activity. Additionally, any additional weight carried by the student (such as a backpack) may also impact the calculation.