1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Height of Volcanoes

1. Dec 5, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Heights of volcanoes. You can assume that the density of basaltic magma is 2750 kgm-3, the density of lithospheric mantle is 3270 kgm-3, the density of oceanic crust is 2800 kgm-3, the density of seawater is 1030 kgm-3, and the depth of the ocean is 5 km.

A)What is the maximum height above the sea floor of an ocean island volcano fed by a magma chamber at the base of oceanic crust? Oceanic crust is typically ~7 km thick.

B)What is the maximum height above the sea floor of an ocean island volcano fed by a magma chamber at the base of oceanic lithosphere? Assume that the oceanic lithosphere is ~120 km thick.

2. Relevant equations

h = [(p(crust) - p( magma)) / p(magma)] * depth

3. The attempt at a solution

For A) [(2800-2750)/2750]*5000 = 90.91 m

For B) [(3270-2750)/2750]*5000 = 945.45 m

I don't think these are correct, because I don't know where I am supposed to use the density of sea water and the thickness of the oceanic crust and oceanic lithosphere. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?