Height of water level in an open ended fully submerged can

In summary, an open ended can with height 0.3m is filled with air (P = Patm ~ 100kPa) and is submerged (open end downward) 3 metres below the water surface (bottom of can 3m below while top of can is 2.7m below). The pressure above the water's surface is also Patm. The air is initially at 20 C, and after it is submerged it remains at 20 C. Assume the air acts as an ideal gas. Estimate the height of the water that will fill the can. p(water) = 1000kg/m3 Where p = density; P = pressure
gradientspark

Homework Statement

An open ended can, with height 0.3m is filled with air (P = Patm ~ 100kPa) and is submerged (open end downward) 3 metres below the water surface (bottom of can 3m below while top of can is 2.7m below). The pressure above the water's surface is also Patm. The air is initially at 20 C, and after it is submerged it remains at 20 C. Assume the air acts as an ideal gas. Estimate the height of the water that will fill the can. p(water) = 1000kg/m3 Where p = density; P = pressure

Homework Equations

P = pgh or P = pgΔh

The Attempt at a Solution

How I figure it, is that you calculate the pressure at the very bottom of the can first. P(bottom) = (1000 kg/m3)(9.81 m/s2)(3 m) = 29430 kPa. The air in the can will initially be the same as it was originally - Patm - but eventually the water pressure underneath the can will compress the air and the water will begin to rise into the can. What I'm not sure about is how the height of the can comes into play as there is no radius given to calculate volume. Would the problem involve the pressure difference between the downward pressure on the top of the can, and the upward pressure on the opening in the bottom of the can?

This is my first post and any feedback on anything I've done wrong in my post (and problem solving logic) would be appreciated, as well, the problem statement and the diagram are attached in case my explanation wasn't clear. Thanks everyone

Attachments

• Submerged Open Ended Can Problem.png
    Submerged Open Ended Can Problem.png
    12.2 KB · Views: 530
Physics news on Phys.org
You are on the right track with your pressure calculation.
If the temperature of the air does not change then the trapped air obeys Boyles law...do you know the equation?
You can take the length (0.3) of the can to represent volume because it has uniform cross section.
Hope this helps

Hey thanks for the reply, the formula you're talking about is P1V1 = P2V2 right? In that case would I just go (100kPa)(A)(0.3m) = (29430kPa)(A)(hf), and then hf is the height of the gas after the pressure equalizes? If that's correct, I get a really small number in the area of 0.1 cm for the gas height which seems wrong to me.

You have done the right thing but the pressure due to the water is 29.43 kPa not 29430kPa
This means that the total pressure on the submerged can = Patmos + 29.43kPa
I got h to be 0.23m (not cm)

Awesome, that makes sense. I forgot the pressure was in Pa. Thanks for all your help! :)

Thank you...good luck

What is the purpose of measuring the height of water level in an open ended fully submerged can?

The purpose of measuring the height of water level in an open ended fully submerged can is to determine the volume of water that can be held by the can. This measurement is important in various fields such as engineering, physics, and chemistry.

How is the height of water level measured in an open ended fully submerged can?

The height of water level in an open ended fully submerged can is typically measured using a measuring tool such as a ruler or a graduated cylinder. The can is filled with water until it is completely submerged and then the height of the water level is read off the measuring tool.

What factors can affect the height of water level in an open ended fully submerged can?

The height of water level in an open ended fully submerged can can be affected by several factors such as the size and shape of the can, the density of the water, and the atmospheric pressure. Changes in these factors can result in a change in the height of water level.

How does the height of water level change as the can is filled with more water?

As more water is added to the can, the height of water level will increase. This is because the water molecules take up space and push against each other, causing the water level to rise. The height of water level will continue to increase until the can is completely filled with water.

Can the height of water level in an open ended fully submerged can be used to calculate the volume of the can?

Yes, the height of water level in an open ended fully submerged can can be used to calculate the volume of the can. This is done by using the formula V = Ah, where V represents the volume, A represents the cross-sectional area of the can, and h represents the height of water level. By knowing the height of water level and the cross-sectional area of the can, the volume of the can can be calculated.