Can I use my siblings' heights to predict my child's adult height?

In summary: The fact that you're sampling from a distribution of siblings means it will be difficult to...properly, the word is 'predict' but you might be able to get a better idea of what the average height will be.
moonman239
I have two questions.

Suppose I am a parent and want to predict how tall my child will be as an adult. I want to survey family members from both sides.

Should I survey my brothers and sisters, or should I survey my 20-year-old nephews and nieces? I think I should survey my brothers and sisters. And they should be about the same age.

Also, the distribution of those heights will always approximate a normal distribution. That's what I learned in biology yesterday. How do I use this fact to predict the adult

Physics news on Phys.org
moonman239 said:
Also, the distribution of those heights will always approximate a normal distribution.

Perhaps, but not if there are only a few samples.

moonman239 said:
I have two questions.

Suppose I am a parent and want to predict how tall my child will be as an adult. I want to survey family members from both sides.

Should I survey my brothers and sisters, or should I survey my 20-year-old nephews and nieces? I think I should survey my brothers and sisters. And they should be about the same age.

Also, the distribution of those heights will always approximate a normal distribution. That's what I learned in biology yesterday. How do I use this fact to predict the adult

For small sample sizes, it is not wise to use classical statistical methods.

The classical methods are asymptotic and they rely on having a large enough sample size.

Apart from this you need to understand a little bit about the underlying process. Your brothers and sisters data might better represent the outcome than your nieces. If biology has results that say that your nieces may not be a good representation for what you are looking for, it might be more damaging using that data than not using it all.

Also with doing things like trying to predict outcomes, you would use a simple linear model.

One thing you need to be aware of is that growth is a highly non-linear process. By this I mean that we don't grow at a constant rate: there are periods where our growth is sudden and there are periods where our growth is somewhat negligible.

If you want to fit some kind of model it would have to take this into account, and this kind of model would require a little bit of advanced mathematics to transform your data correctly so that you a) get a transformed linear model that makes sense and b) can transform it back to what it originally represents to get your predicted values.

If you have small sample sizes, you should probably use Bayesian statistics. What this does is basically use conditional probability and what you do is use a distribution to represent prior information.

In conclusion, there are a lot of things to consider, even though the problem seems relatively simple. The non-linearity factor, combined with small sample sizes, combined with a bad understanding of the process involved are things that will give you results that may not be useful.

chiro said:
For small sample sizes, it is not wise to use classical statistical methods.

The classical methods are asymptotic and they rely on having a large enough sample size

If you have small sample sizes, you should probably use Bayesian statistics.

Ignoring the other factors such as any genetic disorders that may affect my children's height, can I not use the Student's t-distribution?

moonman239 said:
Ignoring the other factors such as any genetic disorders that may affect my children's height, can I not use the Student's t-distribution?

Since you want to make predictions, chances are you want to have some kind of model that has regression coeffecients.

Since your model is not a simple model (because of things like growth spurts), you can't just use the data to get a simple linear or even non-linear model.

This creates a bit of difficulty if you want a model that is reasonable for this kind of problem.

chiro said:
Since you want to make predictions, chances are you want to have some kind of model that has regression coeffecients.

Since your model is not a simple model (because of things like growth spurts), you can't just use the data to get a simple linear or even non-linear model.

This creates a bit of difficulty if you want a model that is reasonable for this kind of problem.

Huh. I thought it always approximated the normal distribution. I guess empirical probability would be my best friend here. If I had like 30 or so siblings, the height distribution might come close enough to being normally distributed.

moonman239 said:
Huh. I thought it always approximated the normal distribution. I guess empirical probability would be my best friend here. If I had like 30 or so siblings, the height distribution might come close enough to being normally distributed.

The fact that you're sampling from a distribution of siblings means it will be difficult to defend the independence assumption for a variable like height.

1. Can I accurately predict my child's adult height using my siblings' heights?

While your siblings' heights can give you an idea of your child's potential height, it is not a reliable or accurate method of predicting their adult height. There are many other factors, such as genetics and environment, that can also influence height.

2. Is there a specific formula or calculation I can use to predict my child's adult height?

There are various formulas and calculations that have been created to predict adult height, but they are not always accurate. These calculations are based on factors such as gender, current height, and parental height, but they cannot account for all the variables that can affect height.

3. Can I use my siblings' heights if they are adopted or half-siblings?

While genetics play a significant role in determining height, it is also influenced by environmental factors. Therefore, using your siblings' heights, especially if they are adopted or half-siblings, may not accurately predict your child's adult height.

4. How much of a role do genetics play in determining height?

Genetics do play a significant role in determining height, but it is not the only factor. Studies have shown that genetics can account for about 60-80% of a person's height, while the remaining percentage is influenced by environmental factors such as nutrition and exercise.

5. Can I use my child's current height to predict their adult height?

Using a child's current height to predict their adult height is not a reliable method. Children go through growth spurts at different ages, and their height can fluctuate throughout their adolescent years. It is best to wait until they have reached full maturity before trying to predict their adult height.