What is the relationship between height and velocity for a falling object?

In summary, a foreign student is seeking help in determining the height from which a piece of lead was dropped, causing its temperature to increase by 10 degrees Celcius. The specific heat of lead is given, but the mass of the lead is unknown. Through the conservation of energy, it is possible to calculate the velocity and distance traveled by the lead to determine the height.
maxximo1
First of all, I have to say hello to all of you. I am from a foreign country so my English isn't so good. So my problem will probably seem very funny and easy to you, but it's very hard to me. I've got absolutely no idea about it and I'd be very thankful if you could help me out.
So here it is.

I need to find out the height, from which a piece of lead was dropped down to Earth and it's temperature grew up by 10 Celcius degrees (50 Fahrenheit degrees). We assume that only the internal energy of the piece of lead grew up and that internal energy of Earth didn't.

Cheers.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure I understand the problem. WHY would the termperature of the lead increase? Are you saying that when the piece of lead hit the ground all of the original potential energy (which was kinetic energy just before it hit) went into the internal energy of the lead? It that's the case you need to determine how much energy was required to raise the temperature by 10 degrees Celcius. The specific heat of lead is, I believe, 0.13 Joules per gtam per degree Kelvin (one degree Kelvin is the same size as one degree Celcius). You don't give a mass for the piece of lead but that should cancel out in setting internal energy equal to potential energy anyway.

You see, the specific heat of lead is 129 J/kg*K, so if the mass of the piece of lead would be 1 kg, I would need 1290 Joules to make the lead raise its temperature by 10 degrees Kelvin. But the main problem is that I DON'T know the mass and I need to get the height of dropping the piece, not the energy needed to raise its temperature. Please help me : (

I think I can help here: When the object hits the floor, its energy is changing from kinetic to thermal. Either way, it has the same net energy due to conservation of energy.
So we know that the kinetic energy lost is equal to the thermal energy gained.

What is the expression for the amount of kinetic energy lost?
What is the expression for the amount of thermal energy gained?

These two will be balanced with each other, so you can find the velocity of the object the moment before it hits the floor, and from this the distance it has traveled (since you know the acceleration acting upon it).

What is the relationship between height and temperature?

The relationship between height and temperature is complex and is influenced by many factors. Generally, as altitude increases, the temperature decreases. This is because the higher the elevation, the thinner the air, and thinner air is unable to hold as much heat. Additionally, temperature can vary based on location, time of day, and weather patterns.

Does lead exposure affect height?

Yes, lead exposure can affect height. Lead is a toxic metal that can disrupt the normal functioning of the endocrine system, which is responsible for regulating growth and development. In children, lead exposure can lead to stunted growth and delayed puberty. In adults, it can cause bone loss, which can also affect height.

How does temperature affect the properties of lead?

Temperature can significantly affect the properties of lead. At high temperatures, lead becomes more malleable and easier to shape, which is why it is often used in manufacturing. However, at low temperatures, lead becomes more brittle and can even crack. Additionally, lead is known to expand and contract with changes in temperature, making it important to consider when using lead in construction or other applications.

Is there a connection between height and intelligence?

While there is some research that suggests a correlation between height and intelligence, it is not a direct cause-and-effect relationship. Factors such as nutrition, genetics, and environmental influences play a much larger role in a person's intelligence than their height. Additionally, studies have shown that taller individuals may have slightly higher IQs, but the difference is not significant enough to make a definitive connection.

What are the health risks associated with lead exposure?

Lead exposure can have serious health consequences, particularly for children and developing fetuses. It can cause neurological and behavioral problems, such as learning disabilities and ADHD, and can also affect the cardiovascular and reproductive systems. Long-term exposure to lead can also increase the risk of high blood pressure, kidney damage, and cancer.