1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Height with EPE question.

1. Jan 28, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A .250 kg block on a vertical spring with a spring constant of 5.00 x 10(3) N/m is pushed downward, compressing the spring .100 m. When released, the block leaves the spring and travels upward vertically. How high does it rise above above the point of release?

Mass = .250 kg
    Distance = .100m
    Spring Constant/K = 5.00 x 10(3) N/m or 5000 N/m

2. Relevant equations
    Have to find EPE I think, EPE = 1/2 K(^x)2....the ^ is a triangle which in this equation is change in length.
    Maybe use mgh

3. The attempt at a solution

I got EPE which was 25. I think that to find h you can use formula mgh. I forgot how to do this but I recall doing something like (.250)(9.81)(h), 2.45(h), and you take the square root of 2.45 and that is how you get h. Then in this problem h would = 1.60m. I really think this is wrong but it was all I could think of.

Can someone please help me find the height? Or if I have the correct method please reply and tell me I did it right(don't think I did though)

Thank You
    ~Patrick

Last edited: Jan 28, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2009 #2

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

All you have to do is equate the spring potential energy with the gravitational potential energy to find the height.

4. Jan 28, 2009 #3
    So PE = the GPE and divide like...2.45(h) = 25..25/2.45...h = 10.2m

Is this correct?

Thank You
    ~Patrick

Last edited: Jan 28, 2009
  5. Jan 28, 2009 #4

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Equate just means setting one thing equal to the other. In your question you have set:

[tex] \frac{1}{2}kx^2 = mgh[/tex]

With some algebraic manipulation you can make h the subject and plug in the numbers.

6. Jan 28, 2009 #5
    Okay, so I had done that, I'm pretty sure 10.2m is the answer than, can you confirm that though?

7. Jan 28, 2009 #6

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, that looks good to me.

8. Jan 28, 2009 #7
    Okay, thank you very much.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?