Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Height

1. Aug 21, 2004 #1

Gza

I was talking to one of my exes today and we ended up on the subject of her new boyfriend. I'm not really sure why I still talk to her, since we still aren't on the best of terms (typical i'm sure). Anyway, we ended up discussing the differences between the physical attributes of her new bf and me. She had said that I was more handsome, but he was taller, and therefore more attractive. I'm 6'0" even, and have never really been called short, so this struck me as puzzling. Not to say that i'm tall either, but I just wanted to know if this is really a general consensus among women. Do women generally prefer a taller guy over a better looking guy?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 21, 2004 #2
    I like guyz that are tall, they dont have to be very good looking.. Im just not attracted to guyz that are shorter or the same height as me. cant explain why. Thats just me, most of my friends are the same, howvere my best friend likes guyz shorter than her coz she thinks she can "dominate" them more esily. go figure..

4. Aug 21, 2004 #3

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

She might feel more protected with a taller person and thus finds it more attractive. I don't consider it an issue. Also: being on eye level can be good :)

Last edited: Aug 21, 2004
  5. Aug 21, 2004 #4
    Being a tall guy, let me give you some inside information on short guys...

It is a very well established fact that short guys are more likely to be frustrated because of their limited height. As a consequence of this they tend to become more and more difficult to live with when they age. this is the reason that most of the women are NOT attracted (I don't wanna use the word repulsive,...) to them.

Trust me most of them shorties are very unhappy with their posture. Why do I know this? Both my parents work in psychiatric institutes and most of their patients are short guys...

regards
    marlon

6. Aug 21, 2004 #5

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't agree, I dated guys that were shorter than me and they were the most self-secured people. Ofcourse there is short and short, but there is also tall and tall. I see someone much taller than me as unattractive: I'd rather date the same person an inch shorter than me (although an inch taller than me would be perfect).

7. Aug 21, 2004 #6

Yet you state that an inch taller then you would be perfect, right ???

If you really had the choise, you would go for one inch taller

regards
    marlon

8. Aug 21, 2004 #7

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sure, I rather have someone an inch taller than me than a head taller :rolleyes: But as I said: I don't see it as an issue. If you really like someone that's the last thing you'd consider :biggrin:

9. Aug 21, 2004 #8

ok, got it...

10. Aug 21, 2004 #9
    I woldn't worry about it too much. Height should mean nothing. I am 2 metres tall (or 6' 6") and my girl is about 5' 8" ish. Nothing wrong with us. :wink: :biggrin:

The Bob (2004 ©)

11. Aug 21, 2004 #10

Quasi the same here. I am 1 meter 90 and my girl is 1 meter 70

12. Aug 21, 2004 #11

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Tall is not a substitute for attractiveness, though for some women it is part of what they consider attractive, so it all bundles together. Personally, I've ALWAYS been more attracted to shorter men. But for me, it's the whole package that matters most. Looks alone don't really get me all that interested in a man...I could look at a guy and say, "Ooh, hot body!" but wouldn't be the least bit interested in dating him for it....for me, it's all about attitude and intellect...I like the slightly geeky ones, and the geeks always seem to know how to treat their women well :biggrin:

13. Aug 21, 2004 #12

Then the women should be really happy. It is raining geek-men inhere

regards
    marlon

14. Aug 21, 2004 #13
    Indeed it is. :biggrin:

The Bob (2004 ©)

15. Aug 21, 2004 #14
    I prefer to be called a Nerd. If everyone would get out their PDA's and note that please... Thanks :)

I think height may seem more important to some women because they've been exposed the idea of good men being the stereotypical "tall dark and handsome" persona.

16. Aug 21, 2004 #15

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

most short men i have known have what i call "little man syndrome"...they have bad attitudes and a temper (from what I have experienced)...my spouse is 6'1" which is 11 inches taller then me :biggrin:

17. Aug 21, 2004 #16
    I don't think it affects most women too much. If a male is too much taller than I think, if it was me, that I would feel more insecure because they could do anything. A height difference at a young age is better as the children are more used to each other.

It shouldn't matter too much but that is me.

The Bob (2004 ©)

18. Aug 21, 2004 #17
    LOL I must be in trouble then if what marlon said earlier is true. I'm a guy and I'm short, 5'5"-5'6". Stupid asian genes.

19. Aug 21, 2004 #18

gravenewworld, don't worry , you will be the exception that states the rule...

regards
    marlon

pardon this poor black humour

20. Aug 21, 2004 #19

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I see nobody has mentioned an issue that used to be important. Maybe it no longer is. Heels. If the lady adds four inches to her height with spikes, she winds up towering over a guy who was her same height when she was in stocking feet. And this could cause tensions to build up. It was also worse in the old days because we danced face to face and holding each other. It turned out to be acceptable to both parties if the lady could nestle her head on the guy's shoulder, which required a certain height ratio.

21. Aug 21, 2004 #20

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I'm only 5'3", so everyone is taller than I am. :wink: Funny, my brother married a girl from Norway recently and she's several inches taller than he is.

Height is not that important to me in a man, actually a man can be too tall for my liking.

SelfAdjoint, girls still wear heels when they dress up, but the past few years also had those platform shoes back in fashion. I can be 5'10" in a pair of platform heels. :tongue:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?