Heights and weights of professional athletes

• Thread starter stickythighs
  • Start date
  • Tags
    professional
In summary: It's the foundation of social interaction. It's how we learn. It's how we grow. It's how we connect with others. It's how we build relationships. It's how we grow our understanding of the world.
stickythighs
A few years ago, using sports cards and internet websites for my sources on heights and weights, I calculated the average height and weight of athletes from several sports.

In Major League Baseball and the NHL, the average player is exactly 6'1" and approximately 200 pounds (The average weight for the MLB and the NHL were both somewhere between 197 lbs and 203 lbs.).

The average NFL player is exactly 6'1" and weighs exactly 240 pounds.

The average NBA player is 6'7", but I didn't calculate the weight of NBA players.

The average heavyweight champion of the world in boxing was 6'2" and a half, but I didn't calculate their average weight.

I thought it was interesting that the average player in three out of the four major sports (NFL, MLB, and NHL) was exactly 6'1". I was a little bit surprised that the average NFL player was not taller than the average MLB or NHL player. And I was surprised by how much the average NHL player weighed. I was expecting NHL player to average around 185-190 pounds. I thought speed was more important than strength in the NHL, and I thought that, consequently, NHL players would be so lean that they would weigh less than 200 pounds.

I am only 5'1".

Physics news on Phys.org
Reads just like the kind of thing someone with Short Person Syndrome would write.

stickythighs said:
I am only 5'1".

Ah.

brewnog said:
Reads just like the kind of thing someone with Short Person Syndrome would write.

I don't think so. I don't think you would have wrote this if I didn't "admit" that I'm only 5'1".

Haha, possibly so!

brewnog said:

So, how tall are you, Brewie? :biggrin:

I'm just laughing that the OP is by the same person who was puzzled why teens have nothing better to do than stand around talking to each other, yet he seems to have had nothing better to do than sit around figuring out the average height and weight of players of various pro sports. :rofl:

Moonbear,

It only took about fifteen or twenty minutes to "figure out the average height and weight of players of various pro sports", but teenagers stand around talking to each other for hours at a time.

What are the average height and weight of a PF moderator, vs the averages of other forums ? What are the average height and weight of a Nobel prize, vs the averages of a Field medal ? Where should Ed Witten count in this comparison ?

Moonbear said:

I'm just laughing that the OP is by the same person who was puzzled why teens have nothing better to do than stand around talking to each other, yet he seems to have had nothing better to do than sit around figuring out the average height and weight of players of various pro sports. :rofl:

Um, :uhh: and there's a problem with that? OK, admittedly, this is the opinion of someone who actually knew most of that stuff I wrote about surviving plane crashes long before it came up in PF, but I don't see anything strange about figuring out the average height and weight of professional athletes.

Even the skill players in the NHL have to fight through body checks, so their size shouldn't be that surprising once you think about it. Speed is important (it's the v^2 part of kinetic energy), but mass plays a part in the equation, as well. The goalies are usually the lightest players on the team. They're the only ones that don't run into other players.

Moonbear said:

I'm the average height for a British male, ok?!

stickythighs said:
Moonbear,

It only took about fifteen or twenty minutes to "figure out the average height and weight of players of various pro sports", but teenagers stand around talking to each other for hours at a time.

What's wrong with talking to someone for hours? It's called communication.

1. What is the average height and weight of professional athletes?

The average height and weight of professional athletes vary greatly depending on the sport they play. For example, the average height and weight of a professional basketball player is much different than that of a professional gymnast. However, a study conducted by the NFL found that the average height of a professional football player is 6'2" and the average weight is 245 pounds.

2. Do taller athletes have an advantage over shorter athletes?

In some sports, height may give an athlete an advantage, such as basketball or volleyball. However, in other sports, like gymnastics or diving, being shorter may actually be an advantage. Ultimately, an athlete's skill, technique, and training will have a greater impact on their performance than their height.

3. Are there any height or weight restrictions for professional athletes?

Most professional sports leagues do not have specific height or weight restrictions for athletes. However, some sports, like boxing and MMA, have weight classes to ensure fair competition. Additionally, some sports may have height requirements for certain positions, such as a minimum height for basketball centers.

4. How do the heights and weights of professional athletes compare to the general population?

Professional athletes tend to be taller and have a higher weight compared to the general population. This is due to the physical demands of their sport and the rigorous training they undergo. However, it is important to note that professional athletes also come in a variety of sizes and body types, and it is not fair to make generalizations about their height and weight.

5. Can an athlete's height and weight affect their performance?

An athlete's height and weight can certainly affect their performance, but it is not the only factor. For example, a taller athlete may have an advantage in certain sports, but if they lack the necessary skills and training, their height will not guarantee success. Similarly, a shorter athlete may excel in a sport that requires agility and speed. Ultimately, an athlete's performance is determined by a combination of factors, including height and weight, but also skill, technique, and mental toughness.