1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Heine Borel Theorem Proof

1. Jul 11, 2016 #1
    Hello, I have a question about Heine Borel Theorem.

First, I am not sure why we have to show
    "gamma=Beta"
    gamma is the supremum of F(which is equivalent to H_squiggly_bar in the text ), and it has to be greater than beta. Otherwise, S contains H_squiggly_bar

Second, for the case 1, why S_gamma+eps does not have a finite subcovering? which definition the author is reffering to?

I understand sup(F) = gamma, so S_gamma-eps must have a finite subcovering because by definition H_squiggly_bar is a set of finite subcovering. But isn't there a possibility that S_gamma+eps also has a finite subcovering?

That consists of H_squiggly bar + some finite set that belongs to H but not contained within H_squiglly bar?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 11, 2016 #2

mathman

Science Advisor

Without the text, the notation you use needs to be defined.

4. Jul 12, 2016 #3
    I am sorry. This is the updated version. Do you think the proof is right? and what do you think of the question at the end?

Attached Files:

5. Jul 12, 2016 #4

mathman

Science Advisor

I am finding these attachments hard to read (type size). In the latest attachment, much of the analysis makes use of [itex]H_i[/itex], which is not defined.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted