Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Heinsenberg UC and n=0 state?

1. Mar 13, 2006 #1
    How would you go about this question?

Show that by allowing the state n=0 for a particle in a 1D box will violoate the uncertainty principle, delta(x)delta(p)>=h(bar)/2

I have tried to substitute all sorts of different relationships but do seem to get anywhere. I have showed that E=0 for a ground state electron but can't seem to relate it to the uncertainty principle.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 13, 2006 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You just have to compute the uncertainties for each variable, x and p_{x}, knowing the wavefunction.

Daniel.

4. Mar 13, 2006 #3

If we allow n=0, the wavefunction will cease to exist hence the particle will cease to exist. Hence momentum and position of a particle does not exist or could you say 0. Hence any change in the n=0 state, the particle will continue to cease to exist. In this way the HU principle will not be satisfied. But my argument is pretty vague. Is there a quantifiable way to express this?

5. Mar 14, 2006 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What's the energy spectrum for the particle...?

Daniel.

6. Mar 16, 2006 #5
    What do you mean by the energy spectrum?

Do you mean the energy levels?
    At n=0, Energy=0.
    At other levels, Energy=n^2(pie)^2(hbar)^2/(2mL^2)

But how does it relate to the UC?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook