1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heisenberg equations for spin

1. Apr 10, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider a spin ##\frac{1}{2}## particle at rest in a B-field ##\vec B = B_0\vec e_z##.

(a) Find the Heisenberg equations for ##\hat S_x## and ##\hat S_y##.

(b) Obtain from the Heisenberg equations two decoupled second-order differential equations for ##\langle \hat S_x \rangle_{\psi}## and ##\langle \hat S_y \rangle_{\psi}## for a general state ##| \psi \rangle## of the particle.

(c) Solve the equations for a particle that initially (at t = 0) is in a state of ##S_x = \frac{\hbar}{2}##

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

For part (a) I have done the following;

##\langle \psi (t) | \hat B_S | \psi (t) \rangle = \langle e^{-\frac{i \hat H t}{\hbar}} \psi (0) | \hat B_S | e^{-\frac{i \hat H t}{\hbar}} \psi (0) \rangle = \langle \psi (0) | e^{\frac{i \hat H t}{\hbar}} \hat B_S e^{-\frac{i \hat H t}{\hbar}} | \psi (0) \rangle##

##B_H = e^{\frac{i \hat H t}{\hbar}} \hat B_S e^{-\frac{i \hat H t}{\hbar}}##

where the H and S subscripts correspond to the Heisenberg and Schrodinger pictures respectively.

The hamiltonian that I have is ##\hat H = - \gamma B_0 \hat S_z##

which leads me to the conclusion that my spin operators are unchanged in the Heisenberg picture.

for part (b) I use the Heisenberg equation of motion on both the ##\hat S_x## and ##\hat S_y## operators

##\frac{d}{dt} \hat S_x = \frac{i}{\hbar} [\hat H, \hat S_x] = \gamma B_0 \hat S_y##

##\frac{d}{dt} \hat S_y = \frac{i}{\hbar} [\hat H, \hat S_y] = - \gamma B_0 \hat S_x##

I then differentiate both again, and substitute the original equations into the result to find

##\frac{d^2}{dt^2} \hat S_y = -(\gamma B_0)^2 \hat S_y##

##\frac{d^2}{dt^2} \hat S_x = -(\gamma B_0)^2 \hat S_x##

These two equations are SHM equations with solutions of the form ##y = A \cos \omega t + B \sin \omega t ##

solving these I find that ##\hat S_y (t) = \hat S_y (0) \cos (\gamma B_0 t) - \hat S_x (0) \sin (\gamma B_0 t)## and ##\hat S_x (t) = \hat S_x (0) \cos (\gamma B_0 t) + \hat S_y (0) \sin (\gamma B_0 t)##

I don't really understand what the question is trying to get me to do here. Any guidance would be much appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2017 #2

DrDu

Science Advisor

Looks all ok, I think the only thing you are assumed still to do is to form the expectations values with the psi(0) specified.

4. Apr 28, 2017 #3
    I'm still having trouble solving this. I can't see how to find ##\hat S_y (0)##

5. Apr 28, 2017 #4

DrDu

Science Advisor

At t=0, the operators in the Schroedinger and Heisenberg picture coincide.

6. Apr 28, 2017 #5
    Thanks, I see.

Ok, so I know that ##\psi (s_x = \hbar / 2) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \begin{pmatrix} 1\\ 1 \end{pmatrix}##. Does "solving" these equations mean taking the expectation value for my state?

7. Apr 28, 2017 #6

DrDu

Science Advisor

I think so, what do you get?

8. Apr 28, 2017 #7
    I find that ##\langle \hat S_y \rangle_{\psi} = - \frac{\hbar}{2} \sin (\gamma B_0 t)## and ##\langle \hat S_x \rangle_{\psi} = \frac{\hbar}{2} \cos (\gamma B_0 t)##

9. Apr 29, 2017 #8

DrDu

Science Advisor

Looks good!

10. Apr 29, 2017 #9
    Thank you for your help

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted