1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heisenberg Formalism

1. Jun 4, 2005 #1
    Can anyone recommend any texts / online sources for learning QM in the Heisenberg formalism? I don't want some 'basics of' book - nitty gritty maths is what I'm after.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 4, 2005 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Jun 4, 2005 #3

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I've seen many texts on QM,but beside the VI-the chapter of L.Schiff's "Quantum Mechanics",McGraw-Hill,1947,i don't remember other source.

Daniel.

P.S.You may wanna check the bibliography to the first chapter of S.Weinberg's "Quantum Theory of Fields",VOL 1,CUP,1995.

5. Jun 4, 2005 #4
    Thank you both, I'll follow those up. As a 'reference point', am I thinking what the Heisenberg Formalism is what it is - ie unitary evolution of the operators rather than the wavefunction (that, of course, being the Schrodinger formalism)?

6. Jun 4, 2005 #5

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

"Heisenberg formalism" means just that:the original 1925 Heisenberg-Jordan-Born matrix mechanics.

As for the Heisenberg picture,that's something else.The 3 equivalent pictures should be in any serious QM text:Gallindo & Pascual,for example.

Daniel.

7. Jun 5, 2005 #6
    Ah, symantics of the words formalism and picture... Thanks for the book ref.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?