1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle or Diffraction problem

1. Mar 11, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The figure shows 1.0*10^-6 m diameter dust particles in a vacuum chamber. The dust particles are released from rest above a 1.0*10^-6 m diameter hole, fall through the hole (there's just barely room for the particles to go through), and land on a detector at distance d below.
    If the particles were purely classical, they would all land in the same 1.0 micrometer diameter circle. But quantum effects don't allow this. If d = 1.3 m , by how much does the diameter of the circle in which most dust particles land exceed 1.0 micrometer ?
    PART B) Quantum effects would be noticeable if the detection-circle diameter increased to 1.7 micrometers. At what distance would the detector need to be placed to observe this increase in the diameter?

2. Relevant equations
    h/2 <= ΔxΔp
    Vf = (2*g*d)^(1/2) for a free fall body starting at V = 0.
    p = mv
    3. The attempt at a solution
    If I understand it correctly, the suggestion to this problem posted previously in the forum (https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=352999) does not work. I tried using λ=h/p finding p by using the velocity of a free fall body given displacement d and λ would be the scattering but it does not work.
    I also tried using the uncertainty principle assuming the uncertainty in Δx is 1.0 micrometers initially and from there I can find Δp and therefore Δv = 3.315*10^-13 but I don't know how to relate this to the distance traveled d in order to find Δx final which is what is being asked. Does the uncertainty in velocity increases as the particle moves and if so, in what fashion? Should I just do this as a particle diffraction problem? Having the formula or idea for part A would yield the solution to part B i believe.
    Any help would be appreciated

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted