Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heisenberg's principle

1. Dec 13, 2008 #1
    Hi, I've a doubt!
    The principle says that we cannot find simultaneity the position and the momentum of a particle, I understand this because if I haven't understood bad it's because to find the position of a particle we need to trhow photons to it (and more and more) as much as we want to be precis and this changes its velocity.

The one i don't understant is the one of time and energy. Why can't we find both exactly?

Thanks!!!!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2008 #2
    Energy defines how particle interact with the others. So you need to give it some time to interact.

4. Dec 13, 2008 #3
    Energy is a kind of cumulation effect. If you want to survey the energy of a system accurately, you need some time. So the time becomes inaccurate.

5. Dec 13, 2008 #4
    It's the inequality obeyed by the deviation of the energy distibution of the states forming a wave packet that evolves with a wave function [itex]\Psi(t)[/itex]. In other words, a relation between the energy distribution of a wave packet and the characteristic time it takes to deform.

The interpretation stating that "the more accurately you want to measure the energy of a system, the more time it takes to measure" was shown to be wrong by Aharonov and Bohm in Phys. Rev. 122, 1649 (1961).

Last edited: Dec 13, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?