1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heisenberg's uncertanty

1. May 26, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    particle pass through a slit of width 0.200mm. the wavelength is 633nm. after it pass through the slit they spread out over a range of angles . use uncertainty principle to determine the min. range of angles.

2. Relevant equations
    (delta)p*(delta)y = h/4(pi)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have done some calculations using heisenbergs uncertainty principle but nothing like this.
    I usually did it in y-direction but it seems this one needs to be done in x direction so I though;
    (delta)px*(delta)x = h/4(pi) but would (delta)x be the width of the slit or the uncertanty of the particles in x-direction after passing through the slit? Also, how would (lambda) be integrated into this? The only thing I can think of is to use (delta)E * (delta)t = h/4(pi) and set E = hc/(lambda), however that would just give me the time? or use h/(lambda) * (delta)x = h/4(pi)

Need some hints here..

R

Last edited: May 26, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. May 26, 2015 #2
    You are only going the need to consider y direction from the looks of you since you are only confining the position in the y-plane.

The slit size is the uncertainty in the y position of the photon. So from this calculate the uncertainty in the y momentum, call it p.
    Then the range in y momenta is from +p/2 to -p/2 . Use the expression for momentum and wavelength and consider the geometry.

4. May 26, 2015 #3
    Also p = h / lambda

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted