Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Helical coil heat exchanger

1. Aug 2, 2015 #1
    really need help in designing a helical coil HE. i know i must first do an energy balance to find heat rate.but what next?to find the area needed and the number of turns etc

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 2, 2015 #2
    Helical flow heat exchangers with tubes are true counter-current exchangers and can be calculated the same as a shell and tube exchanger with one shell pass and one tube pass with the shell-side flow parallel with the tubes. Now, if you mean a spiral exchanger like this:

http://www.tranter.com/Pages/products/spiral/description-benefits.aspx [Broken]

it's usually easiest to contact the vendor.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  4. Aug 2, 2015 #3
    Hey thanks for replying. But i was talking about a coil with one inlet one outlet..it will be placed on ice in an ice room, so exit water can be cold.

Attached Files:

• he.jpg
      he.jpg
      File size:
      5.1 KB
      Views:
    • he.jpg
      he.jpg
      File size:
      5.1 KB
      Views:
  5. Aug 2, 2015 #4
    Do you mean in an ice and water bath (good heat transfer, easy to calculate) or just buried in ice with no water (not so much)?

6. Aug 2, 2015 #5
    The coil will just be on ice basically. Room temperature water flows through the coil. So basically a need to determine the amount a turns and so forth to get the water cold.

7. Aug 3, 2015 #6
    Okay, what's your water flow rate?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook