Designing a Helical Compression Spring with Limited Information

In summary, designing a spring with only pressure and the maximum length of compression can be done by converting the pressure into force and then finding a suitable diameter based on torsional and bending loads. The spring material can be chosen from tables provided by spring manufacturers. The length of the spring will usually be determined last based on available space. This is the simplest approach for spring design.
gogo1
How do I design a spring given only pressure and the the maximum length by which it can be compressed. I tried using the formula P=F/A but I don't have the force to be applied on that spring.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Pressure on the whole spring? From what I remember, springs carry torsional loads and bending loads. You can start by converting the given pressure into these. Then find a suitable diameter.

helical compression spring design

I've been trying to convert the pressure to force but I couldn't.The only given quantities are the spring pressure and the maximum length by which it can be compressed. Not given the spring material.

Any spring manufacture will have tables of spring materials and their rate per unit of deflection. From there you can decide what material to use and then the overall size of the spring. The length will usually be the last item to be arrived at based on the available room. You can go other ways but this is usually the simplest approach.

Thank you jmeps, you really helped me.

What is a helical compression spring?

A helical compression spring is a type of mechanical spring that is designed to store energy by compressing and releasing when a force is applied. It is typically made of a round wire that is coiled into a cylindrical shape, with space between the coils to allow for compression.

What are the different types of helical compression springs?

There are several types of helical compression springs, including open-ended, closed-ended, conical, and barrel-shaped. Each type is designed to serve a specific purpose and can vary in size, shape, and material.

How are helical compression springs used?

Helical compression springs are commonly used in a variety of applications, such as in mechanical devices, automotive suspensions, and industrial equipment. They are also used in everyday objects, such as pens, mattresses, and door handles.

What materials are used to make helical compression springs?

Helical compression springs can be made from various materials, including steel, stainless steel, titanium, and bronze. The choice of material depends on the specific application and the required strength and durability of the spring.

How do I determine the right helical compression spring for my needs?

The right helical compression spring for your needs will depend on factors such as the required load, deflection, and space limitations. It is best to consult with a spring manufacturer or engineer to determine the most suitable type and size of spring for your specific application.