Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Helical compression spring

1. May 15, 2014 #1
    How do I design a spring given only pressure and the the maximum length by which it can be compressed. I tried using the formula P=F/A but I don't have the force to be applied on that spring.

2. jcsd
  3. May 15, 2014 #2
    Pressure on the whole spring? From what I remember, springs carry torsional loads and bending loads. You can start by converting the given pressure into these. Then find a suitable diameter.

4. May 15, 2014 #3
    helical compression spring design

I've been trying to convert the pressure to force but I couldn't.The only given quantities are the spring pressure and the maximum length by which it can be compressed. Not given the spring material.

5. Jun 10, 2014 #4
    Any spring manufacture will have tables of spring materials and their rate per unit of deflection. From there you can decide what material to use and then the overall size of the spring. The length will usually be the last item to be arrived at based on the available room. You can go other ways but this is usually the simplest approach.

6. Jun 11, 2014 #5
    Thank you jmeps, you really helped me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook