1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Helical Springs

1. Jul 15, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    2. Two helical springs of the same initial length are made from the same circular section wire and have the same number of coils. They are assembled co-axially and are compressed between two parallel plates by a force of 450 N. The mean coil diameters of the outer and inner springs are 100 mm and 75 mm respectively. Determine the load in each spring.
    (Answer: 316 N, 134 N)

2. Relevant equations
    F = (Τ x Pi x d^3) / (8 x D) ?

3. Own working
    I tried using the figures in the above equation to calculate values for the Shear Stress T but wasn't sure how to separate the loads into a part for each spring.

Question as above, answers as well, but I can't figure out how to calculate them as I don't have the correct formula I presume.

Any help would be much appreciated, exam tomorrow looms. :(

Last edited: Jul 15, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 16, 2009 #2
    how about using the formula for the spring constant (the shear stresses will be different in each spring, so you're adding a variable) ie.
    k = (G*d^4)/(8*D^3*n)
    you know that G,d and n are the same for each and you know the ratios of D.
    You should then get to something like:
    (0.75^3)F1 + F1 = 450N
    and F1 + F2 = 450N
    solving simulatneously should get you the answers specified.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook