1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Helicity integral in differential forms

1. Oct 30, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let ##V^{3}(t)## be a compact region moving with the fluid.

Assume that at ##t=0## the vorticity ##2##-form ##\omega^{2}## vanishes when restricted to the boundary ##\partial V^{3}(0)##; that is, ##i^{*}\omega^{2}=0##, where ##i## is the inclusion of ##\partial V## in ##\mathbb{R}^{3}##.

(This does ##\textit{not}## say that ##\omega^{2}## itself vanishes, rather only that ##\omega({\vec{u}},{\vec{w}})=0## for ##\vec{u}##,##\vec{w}## tangent to ##\partial V^{3}(0)##.)

Then the ##\textbf{helicity}## integral ##\displaystyle{\int_{V(t)}{\vec{v}}\cdot{\vec{\omega}}\ dx\wedge dy\wedge dz}## can be constant in time.

Prove that the helicity integral is constant in time.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

$$\frac{d}{dt}\int_{V(t)}{\vec{v}}\cdot{\vec{\omega}}\ dx\wedge dy\wedge dz$$
    $$= \frac{d}{dt}\int_{V(t)}{\vec{v}}\cdot{\vec{\omega}}\ dx^{1}\wedge dx^{2}\wedge dx^{3}$$
    $$= \frac{1}{o(x)\sqrt{g}(x)} \frac{d}{dt}\int_{V(t)} {\vec{v}}\cdot{\vec{\omega}}\ \text{vol}^{3}$$
    $$= \frac{1}{o(x)\sqrt{g}(x)} \frac{d}{dt}\int_{V(t)} \nu^{1}\wedge \omega^{2}$$
    $$= \frac{1}{o(x)\sqrt{g}(x)} \frac{d}{dt}\int_{V(t)} \nu^{1}\wedge {\rm d}\nu^{1}$$
    $$= \frac{1}{o(x)\sqrt{g}(x)} \frac{d}{dt}\int_{V(t)} \nu\wedge {\rm d}\nu$$
    $$= \frac{1}{o(x)\sqrt{g}(x)}\frac{1}{2} \frac{d}{dt}\int_{W(t)} (\nu\wedge {\rm d}\nu)+(\nu\wedge {\rm d}\nu)$$
    $$= \frac{1}{o(x)\sqrt{g}(x)}\frac{1}{2} \frac{d}{dt}\int_{W(t)} (\nu\wedge {\rm d}\nu)-({\rm d}\nu\wedge \nu)$$
    $$= \frac{1}{o(x)\sqrt{g}(x)} \frac{d}{dt}\int_{W(t)} {\rm d}(\nu\wedge \nu)$$
    $$= \frac{1}{o(x)\sqrt{g}(x)} \frac{d}{dt}\oint_{\partial W(t)} \nu\wedge \nu$$
    $$= 0.$$

I think this is wrong because I haven't used the assumption that at ##t=0## the vorticity ##2##-form ##\omega^{2}## vanishes when restricted to the boundary ##\partial V^{3}(0)##; that is, ##i^{*}\omega^{2}=0##, where ##i## is the inclusion of ##\partial V## in ##\mathbb{R}^{3}##.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2016 #2
    Thanks for the thread! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post? The more details the better.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted